none
Location-aware printing settings

Question

• Hi,

Couldn't decide whether to put this in the printing forum or here, but I figured this was the best option!

Is there anyway that the location-aware default printer settings (as described in this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/automatically-switch-default-printers-between-home-work-or-school) can be controlled via Group Policy?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

Thanks for your post.

May I ask that your environment is the domain? And your want to deply the default printer switch for all the clients?

If you are in your company domain, the group policy could control your domain computer and domain account. And you could set the default printer or you may tracing to swich the default printer

You could refer to the thread discussed before about using GPO to set Location Aware Printing.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0c62240e-1ae7-4e78-aaa6-08efcff4dea8/gpo-win7-server2008-location-aware-printing-config

The above settings are all in the domain. According to your link you provided, do you also want it to work when the clients are in homes? I'm afraid of that Group Policy couldn't control when the clients are out of domain.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Mary,

I had already stumbled across the link you provided, but it deals with 'Printer Location Tracking' not 'Location Aware Printing'.

Yes, it is running in a domain, not a home environment.

In the link from my original post is the following section;

To manage location-aware printing settings

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2. Click a printer, and then click Manage default printers on the toolbar.

3. Click Change my default printer when I change networks.

4. In the Select network list, click a network.

5. In the Select printer list, click a corresponding default printer.

6. Click Add.

7. Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 as needed. When you're finished, click OK.

I would like to know if settings relating to this configurable item are able to be controlled via Group Policy.

Regards

Adam

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:34 AM