Will windows live mail 2012 work on Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• The e-mail system on Win10 is terrible; it seems like half of it is missing.

Can I install WLM successfully, or won't it work with Win 10?

Clarification:  My new HP Envy 750-150xt came with win 10 already installed, so thisisn't an upgrade on a Win7 computer to a Win10 operating system.

• Edited by ECKJR Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:53 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:51 AM

Answers

• WLM is a free download and part of windows essentials.  You can get it here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials (you do not need all the components of WE)

The native mail client and WLM are 2 different products with little or no overlap.  Simply install WLM and configure it to your preferred server (we can help with that)

If you want WLM to be the default mail client you go into control panel  (win key +"X"), then default programs and choose WLM

IF you sign in using the same email address and password as the one you used on the native mail app the contacts, calendar, etc should sync.

We would need more information to be more detailed.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, December 5, 2015 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi ECKJR,

Windows Live Mail 2012 is included in Windows Essentials.  I would like to tell you that the Microsoft official does not released the Windows Live Mail 2012 for Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-essentials#wetabs=we2012

However, based on my research, the Windows Live Mail works fine in Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-live-mail-with-windows-10/274360d2-76ae-489f-841f-f5f7e60a8786

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015 3:27 AM
  • If you do not use the calendar sync function it works fine on win 10.  There is a fix for the calendar issue which is supposedly to be released in the next month or two

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:17 AM
  • Great!  Now how do I replace the mail program on Win 10 with WLM?

Download Windows Live Mail and let it override the existing file?

How do I get all my box contents and address list over to the new one?

I appreciate whatever help you can give me, because the Win10 mail program is unusable so far as I'm concerned.

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:18 PM
  • Simon,

The second link you gave talks about getting WLM into a computer that has Win 7 and is updating to Win 10.  I can see how that might work.

However, in my case, my new computer came with Win10 installed, so my questions (asked of another reply also) are:

Do I just download Windows Essentials and install it?

If so, will WLM just take over from the existing mail program?

How do I get my contacts and box contents to play on the new computer?

I really appreciate any help you can give, as I'll have to continue to use my Win7 computer for e-mail since the new program is useless to me the way it's structured.

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:27 PM
  • WLM is a free download and part of windows essentials.  You can get it here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials (you do not need all the components of WE)

The native mail client and WLM are 2 different products with little or no overlap.  Simply install WLM and configure it to your preferred server (we can help with that)

If you want WLM to be the default mail client you go into control panel  (win key +"X"), then default programs and choose WLM

IF you sign in using the same email address and password as the one you used on the native mail app the contacts, calendar, etc should sync.

We would need more information to be more detailed.

Saturday, December 5, 2015 12:01 AM