How can I "repair" Windows XP Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    I've been using Windows XP mode for about two weeks, when it suddenly failed to open. The following is the error message that I'm receiving:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon

You can try to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    Does anyone know how I can start this process with the Virtual PC - Windows XP Mode?
    Thank you,
    James
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• As I said, you need to ask in the XP System Repair and Recovery forum.  You are using XP Mode but all of the various solutions are pure XP.  It is not a virtualization issue.  Short of uninstalling and reinstalling XP Mode and WVPC there is nothing here to help.  If you want to save the present copy use the forum.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:28 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:19 AM

All replies

• This is really an XP System Repair and Recovery question rather than an XP Mode question. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system?tab=all

Don't let anyone in that forum tell you differently.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. If it was just a standard Windows XP install, it'd be easy. I would just drop the installation CD/DVD in the drive and start the repair, or try the boot-up options. However, I don't have any of that with the XP Mode. There is no ISO or disk.

James

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:08 AM
  • As I said, you need to ask in the XP System Repair and Recovery forum.  You are using XP Mode but all of the various solutions are pure XP.  It is not a virtualization issue.  Short of uninstalling and reinstalling XP Mode and WVPC there is nothing here to help.  If you want to save the present copy use the forum.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:28 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:19 AM