none
Again with the Output RRS feed

• Question

• Result displays on console instead of Excel sheet..Can someone show me the light>??

$erroractionpreference = "SilentlyContinue" 

# Create a New Excel Object for storing Data 

$a = New-Object -comobject Excel.Application 
    $a.visible = $True  

$b = $a.Workbooks.Add() 
    $c = $b.Worksheets.Item(1) 

# Create the title row 

$c.Cells.Item(1,1) = "Machine Name" 
    $c.Cells.Item(1,2) = "Model" 
    $c.Cells.Item(1,3) = "Manufacturer" 

$d = $c.UsedRange 
    $d.Interior.ColorIndex = 23 
    $d.Font.ColorIndex = 2 
    $d.Font.Bold = $True 
    $d.EntireColumn.AutoFit($True) 

$intRow = 2 

$colComputers = get-content C:\temp\PCs.txt

# Run through the Array of Computers 

foreach ($strComputer in $colComputers) 

$c.Cells.Item($intRow, 1) = $strComputer.ToUpper() 

# Get System Info 

$colOS =Get-WmiObject -class Win32_OperatingSystem -computername $Strcomputer 

foreach($objComp in $colOS) 
    {
        try {
            $reg = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $env:computername)
    $regkey=$reg.OpenSubkey('SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OemInformation')
     'MODEL:{0}  Manufactured by:"{1}"' -f $regkey.GetValue('Model'),$regkey.GetValue('Manufacturer')

Finally
     {
      "end of script"
     }
    }
    $intRow = $intRow + 1 

$intRow = $intRow + 1 

# Save workbook data 

$b.SaveAs("C:\Temp\Computerlist-Results.xlsx") 

# Quit Excel (Remove "#" if you want to quit Excel after the script is completed)

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your script is confusing, because you look like you want to retrieve information from a remote computer and even use Get-WMIObject, but then you open the local computer's registry.

This is probably a bit easier:

get-content "C:\temp\PCs.txt" | foreach-object {
      get-wmiobject Win32_ComputerSystem -computername $_ | select-object __SERVER,Manufacturer,Model
    } | export-csv "C:\Temp\ComputerInfo.csv" -notypeinformation

Then just open C:\Temp\ComputerInfo.csv in Excel.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Edited by Bill_StewartModerator Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:14 PM Forgot WMI class name (Win32_ComputerSystem)
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Sorry about that. I am trying to read a value from a remote registry (list of computers) and output it into Excel

$strMachineName = import-csv C:\temp\PCS.csv
    foreach ($line in $strMachineName)
    {
        try {
            $reg = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $env:computername)
    $regkey=$reg.OpenSubkey('SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OemInformation')
     'MODEL:{0}  Manufactured by:"{1}"' -f $regkey.GetValue('Model'),$regkey.GetValue('Manufacturer')
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:04 PM
  • I guess I would be repeating myself if I said you're opening the local computer's registry, not the remote computer's.

It is simpler to use WMI and export to CSV, like I showed in my post. Excel can open CSV files directly.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Proposed as answer by jrv Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:17 PM
  • This is funny.  I wrote and posted that pieces of code a year or more ago.  It has popped up twice in two days.  The same error.  Eveyone copies it and leaves the dummy value in just like the original.  "$env:COMPUTERNAME"  which always points to the local machine.

The interesting lesson all should take away is that you should never attempt to use a piece of code you do not understand.  It will nearly always be embarrassing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:48 PM
  • The ($env:computername) -variable you are referring to in the following line is the local machine.

[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $($env:computername))

Does the content of your txt-file have a header? Ex:

Computer
    Machine1
    Machine2

then try

[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $Line.Computer)

If your txt-file only contains one machinename per line and no headers, then replace your Import-CSVwith Get-Content and try

[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $Line)
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:59 PM
  • I am trying to start the remote registry service for each PC to fetch a value from the registry but going nowhere. 

$Computers = import-csv C:\temp\PCs.csv
    $results=foreach ($Computer in $Computers) {
    (Get-WmiObject -computerName $Computers Win32_Service -Filter "Name='RemoteRegistry'").StartService() | Out-Null         
    $reg = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $Computer.Computer)
              New-Object PsObject -Property @{
    ComputerName = $Computer.computer                                                                          
    Model=$regkey.GetValue('Model')
                                                                              Manufacturer=$regkey.GetValue('Manufacturer')
        (Get-WmiObject -computerName $Computers Win32_Service -Filter "Name='RemoteRegistry'").StopService() | Out-Null                                                                      }
              }
    $results|Export-Csv C:\temp\PCsResults.csv -NoType

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:22 PM
  • You have to start remote registry and open the firewall.  It is easier to just use WMI registry to retrieve a value.

To retrieve a registry value with WMI you do not need to start the remote registry service.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Here is an Example:

$computer='omega'
    $key='SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellEngine'
    $value='RunTimeVersion'
    $wmi=[wmiclass]"\\$computer\root\default:stdRegProv"
    ($wmi.GetStringValue(2147483650,$key,$value)).svalue

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2009/01/05/how-do-i-check-which-version-of-windows-powershell-i-m-using.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Friday, May 30, 2014 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Newbie 1 Friday, May 30, 2014 5:46 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 4:44 PM