Network Policy and Access Services will not install - Error 1617 with windows update side effect RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install this role onto my Windows Server 2008 SP2 Server, the installation fails with the error shown below.

Additionally, as a side-effect of this failure, I get a message stating that Windows Update Can't check for Updates. However, if I manually click "check for updates" in windows update, it works just fine and says the computer is up to date. However, I continue to get the system tray message saying the system can't check for updates.

Error 1/25/2010 11:41:40 AM ServerManager 1617 None

Log Name:      Setup
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager
    Date:          1/25/2010 11:41:40 AM
    Event ID:      1617
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          DOMAINNAME\administrator
    Computer:      SERVERNAME.domainname.local
    Description:
    Installation failed. A restart is required.

Roles:

Network Policy and Access Services
       Error: The server needs to be restarted to undo the changes.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager" Guid="{8c474092-13e4-430e-9f06-5b60a529bf38}" />
        <EventID>1617</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-25T16:41:40.073Z" />
        <EventRecordID>10</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="16392" ThreadID="17256" />
        <Channel>Setup</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVERNAME.domainname.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1926136013-2651616512-1792209265-500" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="Event_NS">
          <message>

Roles:

Network Policy and Access Services
       Error: The server needs to be restarted to undo the changes.

</message>
          <identifiers>NetworkAccessServicesRole, NetworkPolicyServer, RoutingAndRemoteAccessServices, RemoteAccessService, Routing</identifiers>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Monday, January 25, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve the issue of not being able to install Network Policy and Access Services by reading this post: http://www.binarywar.com/2009/11/problem-installing-network-policy-server/. It appears that the problem is specifically related to running both Networ Policy and Access Services and Symantec endpoint protection Manager on the same box. As did the author of the above referenced post, I decided, in the end, to uninstall NAP from this box. Unfortunately the side effect originally spawned by this failed installation continues. Windows is checing for updates on it's own, reporting bac to WSUS, and even installing updates automatically. However, the system tray continues to pop up a message noting that windows can't automatically check for updates. Anyone have any suggestions for me on this one?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 4:10 AM

All replies

• It just occured to me that it might be useful to know what else is running on this server. The only things that this server runs are Exchange Edge transport role, Symantec endpoint protection Manager, and Watchguard Server manager's Management, Log, Report,  Weblocker and Quarantine servers . Active directory Lightweight directory Services and Internet Information Services are the only installed roles.

i've seen other threads referenceing Event ID 1616, but none with this particular error.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I've reviewed the folowing post from a user with a similar situation:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverNAP/thread/79053f1b-d3c4-494b-9fb8-ed87d3984a2e

The differences being that my Server is not a DC.

Per the above post I tried the following:

I tried running netstat -a -b  and din't see any reference to port 1812 even though symantec SEPM is on this server.

I then tried running the following and reinstaling.

netsh interface 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled

this did not work either...
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

Please check the security permission on the C:\windows\system32\IAS folder and make sure that NETWORK SERVICE has the READ, WRITE&EXECUTE permission (apply to the folder, subfolders and files).

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:04 AM
  • I just checked and these permissions are already set as you described.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I was able to solve the issue of not being able to install Network Policy and Access Services by reading this post: http://www.binarywar.com/2009/11/problem-installing-network-policy-server/. It appears that the problem is specifically related to running both Networ Policy and Access Services and Symantec endpoint protection Manager on the same box. As did the author of the above referenced post, I decided, in the end, to uninstall NAP from this box. Unfortunately the side effect originally spawned by this failed installation continues. Windows is checing for updates on it's own, reporting bac to WSUS, and even installing updates automatically. However, the system tray continues to pop up a message noting that windows can't automatically check for updates. Anyone have any suggestions for me on this one?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

The initial question was answered so I have marked it as such. If there is still a problem and you have more questions please start a new thread. The proper forum for questions only about NPS is the Network Infrastructure Servers forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads).

Thanks

-Greg

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:20 PM