Not able to take backup of one drive using windows server backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

we have windows server 2008 R2 stanadard edition server, we have 3 partition in the server C, E, F. we have allocated 182Gb of space to F drive. we use to take backup of all drives using windows server backup to an external hard drive. when we tried to take backup it failed with below error

" The operation was stopped: Deatiled Error. The volume shadow copy operation failed  with error 0x8004231F"

Then we tried to take backup of each drive seperately, we are able to take c and E drive backup successfully, but we are unable to take F drive backup. if we try to take F drive backup it will display " there is no enough disk space is available in backup destination" but we have 700 GB free space available in external disk. Even we are not able to take single file backup which is in F drive.

and if we open diskmanagement F drive capacity will display as only 1GB, but actual F drive capcity is 182 GB. we are not understanding why it is showing wrong capacity in diskmanagement, when it is showing properly in my computer. please anybody have solution for our issue.

Regards

Asha

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

From the description, I understand this issue is that you cannot complete backup and receive "0x8004231f" error. If I am off base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The error code 0x8004231f indicates VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE. I suspect that the issue is related to the following factors:
    1.The free space on the related partition.

2.The maximum size of the Volume Shadow Copy.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that we check the above first.

I. Please check you have enough space in your backup destination, you may navigate to “Disk management” and see if there is enough space in the External hard drive.

II. To check the maximum size of the Volume Shadow Copy:
    1. Right click the partition to be backed up and choose Properties.
    2. On the Shadow Copies tab, click the Settings button.
    3. Change the maximum size to a larger one.

If the issue still persists, please try to re-register VSS writers.

How to Re-register Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Components on Windows 2008/Windows 2003

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Best Regards,

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Ren Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Asha D Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:56 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thank for your response, we can take c and e drive backups to external harddrive without any problem. If we try to take backup of small  file which is in F drive we will get "there is no enough disk space is available in backup destination".

1. Backup destination has enough disk space 700GB free space

2. If we check F drive details, in volume shadow copy settings it is showing disk capacity 1024MB and free space is 166MB. But actual capacity of F drive 182GB and free space is 70GB.

I think wrong capacity details are giving problem.any idea why it may showing like this

Regards

Asha

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi Asha,

Can you try running this command and take backup of F:?

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=F: /MaxSize=UNBOUNDED

Thanks

Rena

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 6:00 AM
  • from the description, it seems that if you take c and e drive backups to external harddrive without any problem, If you try to take backup of small  file which is in F drive, it would get error, I would like to confirm that if it is the same external hard drive when you take c,e drive backups and f drive?

How much is the space of the disk c and e?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

External harddrive size of 1TB, c drive is data size is around 80GB, d drive 50GB and F drive 130GB. Even we copy the data of that folder manually and tried to format the F drive we got the below error

“Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no Windows is displaying the contents of the drive.Then try formatting again"

we tried to do in safe mode also but same error.

Regards

Asha

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Can you try running "wbadmin disable backup" before formatting.

Thanks

Rena

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Any updates?
    Friday, December 9, 2011 6:43 AM