AppV 4.6 change file in AppData RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

virtualized  a Software which stores the Lizenz file in the AppData Folder.

Now i want to update the Lizenz file.

I make a new Version, update the Lizenz and publish it to the user but it doesn´t automaticly update the Lizenz file in the AppData Folder.

When i repair the paket it works, but this is not a solution for us.

Has anyone an idea?

Thx

Friday, July 25, 2014 6:22 AM

Answers

• The Uservol...pkg file is where App-V stores differences between the original package and user-made modifications to files and registry. The 'repair' function basically just removes that file.

Since the 'overrdie' doesn't seem to work, you could use the script based approach.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2007/10/11/scripting-within-an-osd-file.aspx

basically explains how App-V 4 scripting works. You'd need a pre-launch script that runs insided the virtual environment (protect=true) that copies the updated license file to the 'original (installed) location (like copy from a file share to C:\program files\myapplication\settings\licensfile.lic). As this scripts runs inside the user context and inside the virtuel environment, it would repalce the (old) copy of the license files inside the users' .pkg files

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

one option would be to check the 'Override' check box in the 'files' tab of the Sequencer. Right now I only found one public screenshot (though the box is not cheked there).

This _should: force the App-V client to override user-specific copies of that file with the updated version inside the package. 

This feature isn't well documented.

Another option would be a pre-launch script, that copies the file from 'any' location to the user's appdata inside the virtual environment. You could place the soure file inside the package (like in a 'scripts' folder) or somewhere outside the package (on a file share)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, July 25, 2014 6:55 AM
  • i set the override button but it doesn´t work for me, i don´t know why.

i think the Lizenz file is store in this file: UsrVol_sftfs_v1.pkg

Than i have to copy this file from my package to the user Profil right?

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:41 AM
  • The Uservol...pkg file is where App-V stores differences between the original package and user-made modifications to files and registry. The 'repair' function basically just removes that file.

Since the 'overrdie' doesn't seem to work, you could use the script based approach.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2007/10/11/scripting-within-an-osd-file.aspx

basically explains how App-V 4 scripting works. You'd need a pre-launch script that runs insided the virtual environment (protect=true) that copies the updated license file to the 'original (installed) location (like copy from a file share to C:\program files\myapplication\settings\licensfile.lic). As this scripts runs inside the user context and inside the virtuel environment, it would repalce the (old) copy of the license files inside the users' .pkg files

Falko

Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Cool thank you, now it works
    Monday, July 28, 2014 1:49 PM