none
first time opening sql server RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried without success at filling in the "connect to server" screen, "Server name" Field

I am using the latest version (2018) also using windows 10

Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:31 AM

Answers

• Do you try to connect to SQL Server via SSMS and you do not know the server name? Can you specify localhost?

http://www.sqlservertutorial.net/connect-to-the-sql-server/

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

• Proposed as answer by YKN123 Friday, August 9, 2019 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by José DizEditor Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:24 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Hi Robert Lassman,

Did you want to use SSMS connect to SQL server? if I misunderstood, please let me know.  If you have installed SQL server successfully, please follow steps in below screenshot to connect to SQL server via SSMS.

Note:  If you SQL server is installed with default instance(MSSQLSERVER), then you can enter localhost OR . OR machine name in Server name text box and click on connect.  If your SQL server instance is not default instance ( MSSQLSERVER), you need to use machine name\SQL server name to connect SQL server. For example, in my environment machine name is Node3, SQL server name is SQL2017 in SSCM, so I use Node3\SQL2017 to connect SQL server.

Please refer to Lesson 1: Connecting to the Database Engine to get more information.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, August 9, 2019 3:13 AM

All replies

• Do you try to connect to SQL Server via SSMS and you do not know the server name? Can you specify localhost?

http://www.sqlservertutorial.net/connect-to-the-sql-server/

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Hi Robert Lassman,

Did you want to use SSMS connect to SQL server? if I misunderstood, please let me know.  If you have installed SQL server successfully, please follow steps in below screenshot to connect to SQL server via SSMS.

Note:  If you SQL server is installed with default instance(MSSQLSERVER), then you can enter localhost OR . OR machine name in Server name text box and click on connect.  If your SQL server instance is not default instance ( MSSQLSERVER), you need to use machine name\SQL server name to connect SQL server. For example, in my environment machine name is Node3, SQL server name is SQL2017 in SSCM, so I use Node3\SQL2017 to connect SQL server.

Please refer to Lesson 1: Connecting to the Database Engine to get more information.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, August 9, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Hi Robert,

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:29 AM
  •  

If this answer was helpful, remember to mark it.

José Diz     Belo Horizonte, MG - Brasil     [T-SQL performance tuning: Porto SQL]

Este conteúdo é fornecido sem garantias de qualquer tipo, seja expressa ou implícita.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:26 AM
    Answerer