Lite Touch Task Sequence fails with missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Litetouch.vbs Task sequence that refreshes XP with XP - successful

Litetouch.vbs Task sequence that refreshes Win7 with Win7 – successful

Litetouch.vbs Task sequence that refreshes XP with Win7 Fails missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe not found after image is applied

Boot Media Task sequence that refreshes XP with Win7 -successful

I don’t understand why I can image Win7 on top of Win7 endlessly or XP to XP but if going from XP to Win 7 it fails only when using the litetouch script but not when using the bootable CD.

I use the same Task Sequence with the Bootable CD and it works great!

Is there some interaction with data on the disk that happens with the LiteTouch.vbs that doesn't when I boot from a CD?

The SMSTS.log does have a failed mark that "task sequence version 3.00 is not supported"

I just think it's a reach becuase I use the same task sequence in the 3 other instances noted above.

If I could understand what is different between LiteTouch.vbs and booting from media, it may help, if there isn't just a simple solution someone may already know. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:09 PM

Answers

• I did just as you said. I made a new Deployment Share just for this. Imported Win 7 from the Source files. I made no changes to the CustomSettings.ini OR the Standard Client Task Sequence. I made a new Clean XP SP3, joined it to the domain and took a snapshot. Then I ran the LiteTouch.vbs from within XP not from bootable media. It refreshed with Win 7 with no errors at all. 100% success!

So then I rinsed and repeated on a Production machine and recieved the same NTosKrnl.exe missing or corrupt.

SOLVED!!!! - A couple weeks ago I saw a post. Someone deleted their C:\Drivers folder and it "supposedly" fixed the problem. I thought I didn't have that folder. After all, I built the image! But low and behold if I choose 'More Advanced Options' and 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' I found that I have a Hidden folder called C:\Drivers, once deleted I had a full refresh to Win 7 with 0 errors!!

Apparently the 'rules' don't check for that folder when booting for media. Somewhere in the Task Sequence I disabled a step that looks at that. That is why the NewTS.xml worked sort of. It is clear to me now that changing the Task Sequence was not the way to fix it.

Johan - I met you outside the TAO at the 2010 MMS, bought your book (Deployment Fundamentals) a week later on Amazon. I can not tell you how much it has helped me help my whole team to help a lot of users! Great job speaking at the demo's, I will be asking questions next time!!

• Marked as answer by Simifa Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:53 PM

All replies

• Zip up all the logs from tha failing task sequence, upload them somewhere and post the link

/ Johan

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Thanks so much!

The entire BDD.log:

<![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LiteTouch, rc = -2147467259]LOG]!><time="14:46:10.000+000" date="12-28-2010" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LiteTouch, rc = -2147467259]LOG]!><time="14:46:10.000+000" date="12-28-2010" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

The entire LiteTouch.log:

The light red error I get when I boot back into the Preinstallation Environment after the failure is:

Non-Zero return code executing command "X:\Deploy\Tools\x86\TsmBootstrap.exe" /env:SAContinue, rc= -2147467259

I am looking for the SMSTS.log file but can't find it. Is there another log that can help me?

I am using the Default "Standard Client Task Sequence" on 5 different Dell desktop models, all of the Optiplex series. No unique hardware.

I noticed when I boot off the CD and run the Deployment wizard. There are five steps to complete "Applying image". The last 2 steps are "Updates" and "Completing install" then it gives you a message that the machine is going to restart. When I launch the same Task Sequence while logged into XP it appears to restart right after the updates are finished and does not go all the way to the end.

I am using a totally vanilla Win 7 until I get this working correctly. I used the source file option instead of a .wim to keep it as clean as possible.

OS's and Applications are installing great otherwise, I have many people using it everyday and it has been a fantastic tool for our environment.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Doesn't look like the correct log, is there an existing MININT folder on the machine?  Are you starting Litetouch.vbs as a local administrator?

Did you click finish on the failing wizard before checking the logs?

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Can you start litetouch.vbs with /debug:true /debugcapture  (should give you additional log info)

/ Johan

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:18 PM
  • What I have learned is that the difference between running the same TS from within windows instead of booting from media is that in the case of the Media the install is running from the PE session, whereas when it is run from Windows the install is running from the C: drive.

I could see that when it would restart when run from within XP there is a multi-boot displayed during start up. Then after the installation was done Win 7 explained that it had failed and rolled back to XP. Is there a step I can add in the Task Sequence that would enable the install to run from PE to mimic the media boot style install? Another reason I think that it is running from C: is becuase I get a folder called Windows.old. I am thinking the reason I got the "ntoskrnl.exe is missing" error is becuase it was trying to launch XP but the attempt to load Win 7 had removed it.

I have 3 sets of logs Zipped, I am just trying to find a place to post them. We're tied down at work here.

To answer your questions: The 2 logs that are posted were from the MININT folder but after I modified the Default Task Sequence I had the experiance explained above with the Win 7 roll back and have a full list of log files from that. I am starting Litetouch.vbs as a local administrator. I probably did click finish before checking the logs, but I took a picture and it is with the logs. I would love to start litetouch.vbs with /debug:true /debugcapture - thanks!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Here is the collection of log files. There is a document explaining the different sets of logs within the Zip.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9ixq2

• Edited by Simifa Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:28 AM Update file location
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:50 PM
  • You said it was a refresh, yet the screenshot says X:\Deploy... which would indicate you started from within WinPE. Did you really execute the litetouch.vbs script on the running Windows XP machine? e.g. running  \\Server\deploymentshare\scripts\litetouch.vbs

If you did you should have a bunch of log files in C:\MININT folder at the point it reaches WinPE. Please also upload your TS.XML that you use for the XP to W7 installation.

/ Johan

Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Thanks again for looking at this:

I did run litetouch.vbs from the server. It fails on the first boot and I am forced to use a PE disk to get access to C: to look for the MININT folder.

When the PE is done starting up that "X:Deploy..." image is displayed. The directory MININT does not exist on the C:

So I tried experimenting with the steps in the default Task Sequence.

After experimenting with changes to my task sequence, I actually got past the first boot. Here is the original TS.XML and the new TS.XML zipped. http://www.sendspace.com/file/l5ldsu .

The new Task Sequence afforded me the MININT log files that can be found here in the directory called "ModTSfromXP"  http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9ixq2

The ModTSfromXP is an install attempted by running litetouch.vbs from the server while logged into windows as a local administrator. While it successfully restarts and attempts to complete the install, I can see that it has a multiboot startup and creates a windows.old directory. Is that what it is supposed to do? The install still fails and rolls back.

I did try to do this with SCCM but get the same missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe. Now I am going to try the  /debug:true /debugcapture

• Edited by Simifa Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:28 AM Update file location
    Monday, January 3, 2011 11:59 PM
  • :Update:

I decided to go back to the drawing board. I have been trying to refresh a production image. Instead I imaged a computer with just a vanilla XP SP3, no applications installed. I ran the newly updated Task sequence and low and behold, Win 7 was installed! Not without errors. FAILURE (5206): the Deployment Wizard was cacelled of did not complete successfully. The deployment will not proceed.

The big deal is Win 7 did not roll back. It also no longer starts in a multi boot fashion. It still has the Windows.old directory but that is benign. What this tells me is that something in my production image is messing with the Win 7 installation. As reported at the top of this board, Win 7 installs fine when the LiteTouch.vbs is run after launching from bootable media (PE). It was irrelevant whether I had a production image or a vanilla image installed. I want to be able to launch \\Server\share\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs and not have it interact with the data on the destination drive and behave just like the bootable media Preinstallation Environment.

My Chief Question has changed from a 'missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe' to 'How can I make my Task Sequence run the same from within XP as from bootable media?' or 'Which steps in the Task Sequence can be manipulated so that it behaves like the bootable media?'

As for the /debug:True /debugcapture (XP to Win 7) attempt on a production image. I reviewed all the logs listed below, they are all crowded with success code: 0 - No failures but the Win 7 fails and rolls back.

\Windows\system32\CCM\Logs\SMSTSLog\smsts.log - no fails
    MININT\BDD.log - no fails
    MININT\LiteTouch.log - no fails
    Windows\setupact.log - no fails
    MININT\LTICopyScripts.log - no fails
    Wizard.log - no fails
    ZTIBIOSCheck.log - no fails
    ZTIConfigure.log - no fails
    ZTIDrivers.log - no fails
    ZTIGather.log - no fails
    ZTINextPhase.log - no fails
    ZTIValidate.log - no fails

For the failed task sequence, I am considering using this Debugger found on Deployment Guys web site. http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2010/03/22/mdt-debugger.aspx

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:13 PM
  • By default, when executing a MDT 2010 Lite Touch refresh (running the litetouch.vbs script from a running windows), it will use slightly different rules than a bare metal deployment from customsettings.ini but you can have it behave the exact same way.

However, for troubleshooting purposes, try the following:

1. Install a clean Windows XP SP3 on a virtual machine. Join it to the domain, but with no apps, and no SCCM 2007 client.
    2. Take a snapshot of the virtual machine
    3. Run the \\server\share\scripts\litetouch.vbs script and see if the refresh works.

/ Johan

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:37 AM
  • On a second note, if you do have SCCM, you might was well use that for your OS Deployment tigether with MDT 2010 Zero Touch, even if MDT 2010 Lite Touch is slightly quicker to setup.

/ Johan

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I did just as you said. I made a new Deployment Share just for this. Imported Win 7 from the Source files. I made no changes to the CustomSettings.ini OR the Standard Client Task Sequence. I made a new Clean XP SP3, joined it to the domain and took a snapshot. Then I ran the LiteTouch.vbs from within XP not from bootable media. It refreshed with Win 7 with no errors at all. 100% success!

So then I rinsed and repeated on a Production machine and recieved the same NTosKrnl.exe missing or corrupt.

SOLVED!!!! - A couple weeks ago I saw a post. Someone deleted their C:\Drivers folder and it "supposedly" fixed the problem. I thought I didn't have that folder. After all, I built the image! But low and behold if I choose 'More Advanced Options' and 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' I found that I have a Hidden folder called C:\Drivers, once deleted I had a full refresh to Win 7 with 0 errors!!

Apparently the 'rules' don't check for that folder when booting for media. Somewhere in the Task Sequence I disabled a step that looks at that. That is why the NewTS.xml worked sort of. It is clear to me now that changing the Task Sequence was not the way to fix it.

Johan - I met you outside the TAO at the 2010 MMS, bought your book (Deployment Fundamentals) a week later on Amazon. I can not tell you how much it has helped me help my whole team to help a lot of users! Great job speaking at the demo's, I will be asking questions next time!!

• Marked as answer by Simifa Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Great findings... and thanks for posting back to the forums, I'm sure it will help someone on a rainy day...

Glad you liked the book, and I hope to see you at MMS again this year...  I'm scheduled for presenting a few deployment sessions :)

/ Johan

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:45 PM