How to uninstall!???? RRS feed

• Question

• I stumbled across a reference to Steadystate and, evidentally, didn't read close enough.  I thought it was some kind of tool that added [badly-needed!] stability to XP.  So i installed it.  THEN i learned it stabilizes by stopping installation of new programs, a disaster for me.
    So i uninstalled it.  Or thought i did.  I even scrutinized the registry for traces.  No luck, like a vampire it returned. 
    So I chose a Restore Point and tried to kill it that way.  No luck.
    This is a nightmare- can anybody help me put a stake thru this monster?

Signed,

desperate
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:43 PM

Answers

• You can also try the following steps if Windows SteadyState still cannot be removed.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.wdp file under drive C.

If the cache file cannot be found, let’s show hidden files with the following steps.

-----------------------

1. Open drive C: Click Organize menu-> Folders and search option. [Note: for XP, this would be Tools > Folder Options]

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. To display other hidden files, clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Click the "Hide extensions for known file types". [Note: Unclick?]

5. Click OK.

After that, delete related registry keys and files

-----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in regedit and then click OK.

3.  Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

4. Search and delete all Windows SteadyState related entries. [Note: I found mentions to legacy SteadyState entries that weren't possible to delete]

5. Delete files under C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState"

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, September 14, 2009 4:03 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:16 AM

All replies

• Leave the pc out in the sun and watch it burn!   XD.  Seriously, reinstall it. If that works, go to each and every restrictions and turn it off. Make sure the Disk Protection is TURNED OFF. Then go to the Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it again. See if that works.

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:51 PM
  • You can also try the following steps if Windows SteadyState still cannot be removed.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.wdp file under drive C.

If the cache file cannot be found, let’s show hidden files with the following steps.

-----------------------

1. Open drive C: Click Organize menu-> Folders and search option. [Note: for XP, this would be Tools > Folder Options]

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. To display other hidden files, clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Click the "Hide extensions for known file types". [Note: Unclick?]

5. Click OK.

After that, delete related registry keys and files

-----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in regedit and then click OK.

3.  Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

4. Search and delete all Windows SteadyState related entries. [Note: I found mentions to legacy SteadyState entries that weren't possible to delete]

5. Delete files under C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState"

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, September 14, 2009 4:03 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for trying- but i accidentally found a cure.  Exasperated i returned to my Restore Points, and chose an earlier one.  This time it worked.  Consistency, thy name is *not* XP.   [Now i'm stuck with a permanent Welcome screen when logging on, but, for XP, that's a small price.]
    As to the Moderator's advice, i don't want to appear ungrateful, but must note that any program that requires such a complex uninstall procedure is very badly designed.  I've noticed this arrogance and/or ineptness from MS before- adding a standard uninstall module seems to be beneath these rocket scientists.
    Slightly off-topic: none of the Windows 7 reviews i've seen have noted a drastic improvement in basic usability or reliability, and i definitely refuse to repeat this kind of experience, for a high price to boot.
    Anyway- to anybody having this uninstall nightmare i recommend trying all your Restore Points before going to forums.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:41 PM