• 4 PCs
    755    10 Pro  ip=.15  
    ACER   10 Pro  ip=.20
    DAD    10 Home ip=.27 
    MINI9  XP Home ip=.13  

all PCs same subnet 192.168.254.xxx        
    all pcs same "WORKGROUP"
    all PCs Password Protected Sharing OFF
    all PCs shared folder or drive Advanced Sharing - Permissions for Everyone = FULL
    all Pro PCs Admn Tools-Local Policy-Security Policies-Security Options-Accounts Guest Account Status = Enabled

stopped/restarted browser service all PCs

don't know for sure which is master browser because browstat doesn't work on 10 and there is evidently no replacement

ran commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
    nbtstat -R

Some Win10 still  can't see others by clicking icon in Network  or direct typing in \\unc even though listed in Network

Some can see by \\ip address, but can't actually access any folders

Some get past the first hurdle but then enter network credentials pop-up even though all have password protected sharing off, others don't even get credentials box, just access denied.

Network Troubleshooter of course can not find/fix any problems.

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:18 AM

All replies

• Check Credential Manager on all machines, delete any cached credentials under the Windows Credentials side.

Seen Windows 10 a few times prompt for details when access an open share, enter COMPUTERNAME\MadeUp (substituting  the name of the computer you connect to for COMPUTERNAME)

What security software or third party firewalls are installed on the machines?
    Friday, October 7, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Checked credentials, none cached

no third party firewall . actually no third party security software at all.

The behavoir is totally inconsistent between the computers. The Win10 Pro 64 machines seems quite happy to share the root of the data drive with others. I set this share up a long time ago. The Win 10 Home 64 will share a testshare folder on the C drive but won't let any other machine access the shared D drive - just says innaccessible. The Win Acer 10 Pro 32 laptop (which does not have anniversary update installed yet) asks for credentials and will allow access tothe D drive if you put in username of guest with blank password.

It seems Microsoft has really screwed up "simple" network sharing. We don't all want to use homegroups. Conventional small business setups with a few computers need basicworkgroups with shared drives or folders. They don't need or want servers or domain controllers and they don't want the nightmare of recreating/duplicating  user accounts  multiple PCs.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:33 AM
  • 'Simple' file sharing does work on Windows 10, but I have seen several posts with issues like this seen after the upgrades (on the previous threshold release). 

So check you are connecting to machines you mean time, if using names ping the name and check the IP is what is expected. 

So I can only suggest you check every share very methodically and check the Share and File permissions and exactly what are expected. Any that do not work with the correct settings remove the share folder (Stop Sharing) and then check the file permissions, make those what you want and share the folder again.  

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:30 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:29 PM
  • I am not at the original location/network I encountered the problem on so I can't check all the computers but I do have the (Acer 8300, Win 10 Pro 32 1607) laptop that was one of the problem computers. This has essentially a clean load of Windows 10 Pro 32 installed as an upgrade from Window 8.1 keeping nothing from the  8.1 installation.There is no third party firewall or antivirus.

On this computer since my original post I have installed the anniversary update and I have deleted and recreated the shares. It still doesn't work.

I don't know for sure about the problem of compters not showing up in Network but I think it may be related to  a master browser issue. I can't tell for sure since I am not on the original network. What I do know is that the master browser on this network is my old XP machine and Acer shows up. On the other network it was also the old XP machine.

By the way, apparently Microsoft removed the browstat utility and provided no replacement. Even if you get a copy, it doesn't work on Win 10. So I usedLanScan (available at https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/).

It appears I have managed to bypass or eliminate the 'credentials' pop-up issue, but that doesn't mean I can actually access the shares. I can open but I can't write to a shared folder, and I can't access a shared drive at all.

In Network and Sharing - Advanced Sharing I have network discovery and file and printer sharing on. Although I am not using Homegroup, I have Allow Windows to manage homegroup on. Under All Networks I have turned password protected sharing off. I made sure the laptop thinks it is on a private network.

I created a folder on the C drive, shared it, and made sure "everyone" has Full Control permissions. The shared folder shows up in Network on another PC and I can open the share but I can't create a file in it.

I shared the "D" drive (partition) with exactly the same permissions and I can't access it at all. The D share shows up in Network of the other computer but I get the typical "inaccessible" message when trying to access it. The troubleshooter says ' "D" is accessible but the user account you are logged on with was denied access. '

The same thing happens if I try to open/acces the laptop shares on Windows 10, Vista, and XP computers on the network.

I verified in Computer Management-Shared Folders-Shares that the settings for both shares are identical.

I suppose I might work around by various means such as turning password protected sharing back on, creating user accounts, etc. but I don't want to do that. The whole point of password protected sharing off (i.e. simple file sharing) is to avoid the hassle of user and password management on multiple computers on a simple prive network where it is not necessary.

The Windows 10 Network and Sharing - All Networks setting explicitly says "To give other people access, you must turn off password protected sharing." This seems pretty clear to me. If I turn off password protected sharing, other people (who don't have an account on this computer) will have access." There is nothing that says you have to do anything else, such as also have to give them permission somewhere else.

Is there actually clear official documentation from Microsoft somewhere on this topic? If so, I can't find it . I'm not the only one with this problem. Ther are hundreds of posts in various forums with people having similar issues with sharing in recent versions of Windows, and no clear answers.

• Edited by Pete brvcf Monday, October 10, 2016 4:29 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 4:06 AM
  • By the way, apparently Microsoft removed the browstat utility and provided no replacement.

You can use nbtstat -a to each PC until you find the one that is master browser.

I suppose I might work around by various means such as turning password protected sharing back on, creating user accounts, etc. but I don't want to do that. The whole point of password protected sharing off (i.e. simple file sharing) is to avoid the hassle of user and password management on multiple computers on a simple prive network where it is not necessary.
    When password protected sharing is off, you will need to add Windows Credentials in Credential Manager.  I've also found that adding "Authenticated Users" when setting up sharing on a particular file or folder will provide the ability to successfully access the share when prompted for credentials.  Also, if you are locally logged in with a user name and password that is also on the PC with the shared resource, you will get access to the share without providing credentials, even though protected sharing is off.
    Monday, October 10, 2016 9:50 AM
  • You can use nbtstat -a to each PC until you find the one that is master browser.

This is what the LANscan script does.Uses net view and nbtstat to display a table.

When password protected sharing is off, you will need to add Windows Credentials in Credential Manager.  I've also found that adding "Authenticated Users" when setting up sharing on a particular file or folder will provide the ability to successfully access the share when prompted for credentials. 
    What do I add to Credential Manager? And is this on the PC that has the shares or do I need to add on the computer(s) trying to access the share? Isn't having to add Windows Credentials to every computer that wants to access the share essentially the same as logging in with user name and password which kind of defeats the purposere of turning password pretected sharing off?
    • Edited by Pete brvcf Monday, October 10, 2016 1:18 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 12:57 PM
  • This is what the LANscan script does.Uses net view and nbtstat to display a table.

So LANscan uses Microsoft commands to provide the data you're looking for.  Nice!

What do I add to Credential Manager? And is this on the PC that has the shares or do I need to add on the computer(s) trying to access the share?

On the computer(s) trying to access the share, go to Credential Manager and click on Windows Credentials, then Add a Windows credentials.  You will then add the name or address of the PC that has the shares along with the appropriate User name and password that will give you access to the shared resource.
    Monday, October 10, 2016 1:25 PM
  • So one way or another you have to enter usernames and passwords of every computer that has shares you want to acces on every other computer you want to the shares on. Either you get the login pop-up when you try to access the share then enter username & password  and tell Windows to remember, or you do it ahead of time by entering in to the Credential Manager?

In other words, turning password protected sharing off just doesn't work, at least not reliably. It looks like Microsoft has removed the ability to do 'simple' file sharing but they have not removed the control that appears to let you do simple file sharing.

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:46 PM
  • So one way or another you have to enter usernames and passwords of every computer that has shares you want to acces on every other computer you want to the shares on. Either you get the login pop-up when you try to access the share then enter username & password  and tell Windows to remember, or you do it ahead of time by entering in to the Credential Manager?

In other words, turning password protected sharing off just doesn't work, at least not reliably. It looks like Microsoft has removed the ability to do 'simple' file sharing but they have not removed the control that appears to let you do simple file sharing.

I agree that Microsoft's use of the term "password protected sharing" is confusing.  I've never interpreted it to mean protected vs. unprotected sharing but rather as follows:

Password sharing ON -- common user/password on each machine provides the credentials for share access

Password sharing OFF -- credentials must be provided at the start of each session to access shares

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:59 PM
  • See: http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2016/10/cannot-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-after-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Clearing the Guest user account password worked for me. The "turn off password protected sharing" setting would save. I had to use lusrmgr.msc to do it on my Windows 10 PC.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have the similar (better say the same) problem with Win 10 pro ver.1909

Feb 2020 clean installation, after 2 years Microsoft still did not solved, same configuration like you,

I have erased the guest account password but no success,switched off antivirus & firewall, nothing

so now no idea how to overcome...

on 3 machines working like a charme, 4 machines just troubles, same installation, same settings but diffferent behaviour,  I can see the computer in the Network but can´t access the shares --> just window: ask the Administrator for access rights... helpless , tried to contact Microsoft support line, after 10mins. of waiting hearing music lost my nerves.

any suggestions? 

MiroR.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:06 PM