none
Add new custom field to existing EPT Project detail page RRS feed

• Question

• I create a few EPTs using Project desktop and uploaded it to Project Online everything works well. However, I wanted to add new Enterprise Custom Fields which I have been able to do under PWA settings>Enterprise Data> Enterprise Custom Fields. 

However, they do not show up in my details page.

I then went to PWA Settings> Workflow and Project Details Pages>Project Detail Pages. I was able to edit the ProjectInformation.aspx file and add the new custom field. The new fields show up in the default PWA EPT's but they do not appear in the custom EPTs I created. Do I have to reload them from my desktop, I though I was able to control everything via PWA?

Any thoughts?

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:42 PM

Answers

• Go to PWA settings and locate the link for defining EPTs.

Clic on the EPT in question and first, check if it's associated to a workflow. If it's not, below on the same page you'll find the list of available and associated PDPs.

If it's associated to a workflow, then you need to know which stages the workflow are refering to. In the same group of settings you can find the Stages settings. Just clic on the stages and check which PDPs are enabled for that stage.

Rene Alvarez

• Proposed as answer by René Alvarez Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by AzulCore Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:02 PM
  • I was able to get that resolved as well by going to Workflow and PWA Settings>Project Details Pages>Project Details Pages. I then click on ProjectDetails.aspx, I clicked on Page>Edit Properties>View Properties. I then clicked Check Out.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hello AzulCore. Can you elaborate a bit on this? An EPT is a definition in PWA, so, how did you create it from Project Desktop?

You can create custom fields form Project Pro and import them to PWA. After that you need to associate them to PDPs and then you associate PDPs to Stages and/or EPTs if your EPT does not refer to a workflow.

I would check if the custom EPTs are reading the PDP you changed.

As a general rule, I do not recommend the customization of default content like PDPs. Instead, create a brand new PDP, add your custom fields and associate them to the EPTs you need them to appear.

Hope it helps.

Rene Alvarez

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Rene,

Thanks that points me to a new direction. However, how do I check what PDP my EPT is pointing to on PWA?

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:01 PM
  • Go to PWA settings and locate the link for defining EPTs.

Clic on the EPT in question and first, check if it's associated to a workflow. If it's not, below on the same page you'll find the list of available and associated PDPs.

If it's associated to a workflow, then you need to know which stages the workflow are refering to. In the same group of settings you can find the Stages settings. Just clic on the stages and check which PDPs are enabled for that stage.

Rene Alvarez

• Proposed as answer by René Alvarez Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Rene,

Thanks, I do see that but I only have one Project Details page to associate. 

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Rene,

Actually I got it, thanks. I have been updating the ProjectInformation.aspx instead of the ProjectDetails.aspx. 

The only problem now is if I edit the ProjectDetails.aspx I get an error "Cannot save all of the property settings for this Web Part. The file is currently checked out or locked for editing by another user." even though everything is checked out and no one is on the system.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:23 PM
  • I was able to get that resolved as well by going to Workflow and PWA Settings>Project Details Pages>Project Details Pages. I then click on ProjectDetails.aspx, I clicked on Page>Edit Properties>View Properties. I then clicked Check Out.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:33 PM