none
Power Query not importing the results of a query I got from using the "Like" operator in MS Access 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I recently developed a query from a database using the LIKE operator in Access.  It worked beautifully in Access.  However,  when I did Power Query → From Database→ Select (query), the query just showed an empty table, i.e. no values from the query at all, why is that?  What do it need to do to import this query?  Many thanks for your help. Below is my query:

"Where ([Raw Data]. [Product]) Like "*Can*");

The query is importing all the products but the ones that I generated with the LIKE operator.  

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 10:20 PM

Answers

• We found out that this is a bug in the driver, nothing we can fix. As a workaround, you can put % instead of * in the Access. It won't work in Access but it'll work on Power Query.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Hi, Many thanks  for your response.  Interesting.   Regards,

Hugo

hriosm83

• Marked as answer by hriosm83 Friday, March 16, 2018 8:37 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:50 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this is the issue, but you have a space between the "." and "[Product]"

Also, shouldn't those be % signs?

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:19 PM
  • We found out that this is a bug in the driver, nothing we can fix. As a workaround, you can put % instead of * in the Access. It won't work in Access but it'll work on Power Query.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Hi, Many thanks  for your response.  Interesting.   Regards,

Hugo

hriosm83

• Marked as answer by hriosm83 Friday, March 16, 2018 8:37 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:50 PM
  • I have just run into this same issue, thanks for the fix.

I have also found that the Access '#' wildcard to match a single digit doesn't work in Power Query either, so e.g. for a string beginning with a digit I have used:

LEFT(<field>, 1) IN ('0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9')

While the '%' works in Power Query but not Access, you can of course use something like this so it works in both:

<field> LIKE '*Can*' or <field> LIKE '%Can%'

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:31 PM