Moving single Exchange 2016 instance to a new server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My current goal is to move a single instance of Exchange 2016 to a new server. Most of what I have read online deals with migration of databases from one server to another or from an instance of 2010/2013 to 2016. I have done many Exchange installs, upgrades, moves, migrations, etc.. but Exchange 2016 is new to me and I don't want to cause any problems in the current environment during this move.

I would be very appreciative if someone could point me to some documentation or the like.

Monday, July 10, 2017 1:52 AM

Answers

• Hi

Best would be to install the new server, install the cert and assign services and then configure all your urls.

Once done, start with mailbox moves etc. Dont forget to point your dns to the new server.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, July 10, 2017 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Derpy Mastiff Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:34 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi

Best would be to install the new server, install the cert and assign services and then configure all your urls.

Once done, start with mailbox moves etc. Dont forget to point your dns to the new server.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, July 10, 2017 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Derpy Mastiff Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:34 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

Exchange 2016 is similar to Exchange 2013, you can refer to the migration steps from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2013/Checklist?state=3229-W-CAAEAAAAQAAAAAEAAAAAABAy6AAAwAMAAAA~

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, July 24, 2017 5:08 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Thank you for the URL to the installation information for installing Exchange. Do you happen to have a link to a document that outlines the migration process from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016 please?

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Thank you for the URL to the installation information for installing Exchange. Do you happen to have a link to a document that outlines the migration process from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016 please?

My link provides the whole migration steps from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016. You can go back to the home page and choose your deployment options.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:32 AM
  • Thank you for the links above, I also found those yesterday while researching. Starting the migration today, hopefully all goes well.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Thank you for the links above, I also found those yesterday while researching. Starting the migration today, hopefully all goes well.

If you have any problems during migration, welcome back to TechNet forum.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:38 AM