none
No DirectX 12 after upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does DirectX 12 included in all versions of Windows? Or in some versions only?

I've upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Enterprise and there's no DirectX 12 in dxdiag.

Thanks, and sorry for bad english.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 4:41 PM

Answers

• "NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families. At launch, DirectX 12 is supported by all Maxwell and Kepler GPUs. Fermi will receive DX12 support later this year (expected around the first wave of DX12 content)."

More information: Which NVIDIA GPUs will support DX12?

The 610M is a Fermi architecture card according this list: Wikipedia.

Also if you use the dxdiag tool, check that the notebook onboard card is not showing that you're running DX12 or driver model WDDM 2.0, maybe that driver is not supporting DX12 and need to be updated.

| Branko Vucinec | MCSE, MCSA, MCPS
    Blog: blog.brankovucinec.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

This is normal. on my lab machine, its display is also not 12 and 2.0.

It's dependent on new drivers for your video adapter which probably aren't ready yet

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 11:51 AM
  • I think the dxdiag on my laptop is showing for the Intel card, not Nvidia card (Intel HD Graphics 3000), maybe this card is not yet supported and that's why it's showing DirectX 11.1 and WDDM 1.2.

Strange, I don't have a 'Render' tab on my Dxdiag.

It's maybe because my laptop is using the 'Optimus' technology from Nvidia. Maybe I'm right, or maybe I'm wrong..

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:52 AM

All replies

• Open PowerShell and type in dxdiag and press enter.  Let us know what happens.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for answering.

By the way, my laptop is ASUS K43SD model.

I've opened Powershell and typed in dxdiag.

The dxdiag windows was opened and my 'DirectX Version' is listed as 11.1 not 12. Here's an additional info :

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.150717-1719)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: K43SD
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/10/12 13:04:06 Ver: 04.06.03
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4000MB RAM
    Page File: 3125MB used, 3376MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 11.1
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

But strangely enough, in NVIDIA Control Panel's System Information, the DirectX Runtime Version is 12. Here's for additional infos :

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
    DirectX version: 12.0
    GPU processor: GeForce 610M
    Driver version: 353.62
    Direct3D API version: 12
    Direct3D feature level: 11_0
    CUDA Cores: 48
    Core clock: 850 MHz
    Shader clock: 1700 MHz
    Memory data rate: 1600 MHz
    Memory interface: 64-bit
    Memory bandwidth: 12.80 GB/s
    Total available graphics memory: 4048 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 2000 MB
    Video BIOS version: 75.19.4D.00.02
    IRQ: Not used
    Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2
    Device Id: 10DE 1058 16521043
    Part Number: 1317 0000

Also, I have an integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 video card, and a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 610M 2GB video card.

This kind of problem is making me crazy..

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Maybe the powershell Dxdiag is showing info of the intel card (i would look to see if that card can support the new D12 and update the driver)

The nvidia car series 600 support Dx12 since the may update.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Yeah, I think you are right. It is showing the info of the Intel card..

And, another problem, the WDDM is listed as 1.2 in Dxdiag, not 2.0

I'm very confused right now.

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:48 AM
  • Hi,

This is normal. on my lab machine, its display is also not 12 and 2.0.

It's dependent on new drivers for your video adapter which probably aren't ready yet

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 11:51 AM
  • Hi I found this thread via Google, but I installed both Win10 Pro & Enterprise on my laptop as tests, with build 10240, and on Pro the DX version is 12, and Enterprise the version is 11.2.

Obviously the card Nvidia Geforce 750M supports 12 since it was installed with Pro? What's up with Enterprise? Is it drivers as the previous poster said that are not ready yet?

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:01 PM
  • That's what I mean. I haven't tested my laptop with Windows 10 Pro, though.

I'm going to test it with Win10 Pro..

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:15 AM
  • "NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families. At launch, DirectX 12 is supported by all Maxwell and Kepler GPUs. Fermi will receive DX12 support later this year (expected around the first wave of DX12 content)."

More information: Which NVIDIA GPUs will support DX12?

The 610M is a Fermi architecture card according this list: Wikipedia.

Also if you use the dxdiag tool, check that the notebook onboard card is not showing that you're running DX12 or driver model WDDM 2.0, maybe that driver is not supporting DX12 and need to be updated.

| Branko Vucinec | MCSE, MCSA, MCPS
    Blog: blog.brankovucinec.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:10 AM
  • I think the dxdiag on my laptop is showing for the Intel card, not Nvidia card (Intel HD Graphics 3000), maybe this card is not yet supported and that's why it's showing DirectX 11.1 and WDDM 1.2.

Strange, I don't have a 'Render' tab on my Dxdiag.

It's maybe because my laptop is using the 'Optimus' technology from Nvidia. Maybe I'm right, or maybe I'm wrong..

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:52 AM