none
offsite backup to external disk RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to copy a snapshot of all DPM protected data to an external disk. I've read that DPMBackup.exe can expose snapshots of the replica volumes and I can copy that with robocopy. There are two problems with that: it is a file level copy, which means it's slow, and there are files that it can't read, even when run as system. (And there's a third problem, namely, I don't understand how DPMBackup.exe works: I'd like to know if it cleans up the exposed shadow copies some day and if it's guaranteed to create a good snapshot even if it is invoked during a long-running protection task, when DPM is writing to the replica volume.)

So my next idea is to copy the entire replica volumes as a VHD. Disk2vhd is a perfect tool for that, but it has it's own problems, too. First of all, the DPM volumes don't have descriptive names. Is it safe for me to rename them? Am I right that there's a problem if I start copying a replica volume when DPM is writing to it? The best way would be if I could copy a shadow copy to a VHD, because Disk2vhd can only copy a physical volume. I tried to expose a shadow copy as a drive letter, but Disk2vhd didn't support that.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by fejesjoco Friday, March 2, 2012 9:28 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:27 PM

Answers

• Spent my weekend on this, so here it is.

Solution 1: Forget DpmBackup, copy the recovery points directly as a disk image. Get a tool like dd.exe, write a script that creates a VHD and a volume on it that is the same size as a shadow copy, mount the VHD, then copy the shadow copy of a replica to the VHD. Do this for all data sources, and mission accomplished.

Solution 2: Get some tool that can mess with privileges, like PSCX Get-/Set-Privilege, enable SeBackupPrivilege, and you can copy anything on a file level without worrying about ACL's. Copy the DpmBackup'd stuff with RoboCopy (/B switch needed), and mission accomplished.

• Marked as answer by fejesjoco Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:45 PM
    • Edited by fejesjoco Monday, March 5, 2012 12:13 PM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:45 PM

All replies

• Spent my weekend on this, so here it is.

Solution 1: Forget DpmBackup, copy the recovery points directly as a disk image. Get a tool like dd.exe, write a script that creates a VHD and a volume on it that is the same size as a shadow copy, mount the VHD, then copy the shadow copy of a replica to the VHD. Do this for all data sources, and mission accomplished.

Solution 2: Get some tool that can mess with privileges, like PSCX Get-/Set-Privilege, enable SeBackupPrivilege, and you can copy anything on a file level without worrying about ACL's. Copy the DpmBackup'd stuff with RoboCopy (/B switch needed), and mission accomplished.

• Marked as answer by fejesjoco Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:45 PM
    • Edited by fejesjoco Monday, March 5, 2012 12:13 PM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi fejesjoco,

Which one of these options did you choose, out of interest?

Neither sounds ideal, there must be a better option...

Regards,

Bruce.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:01 PM
  • I went with 2. It's about half as fast as it could be, but I don't have the right tools for 1 and it seemed like it's not worth the extra effort.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:04 PM