none
SBS2011 Migration to Exchange 2016 - RWW and OWA RRS feed

• Question

• During bringing up Exchange 2016 and in the interim before getting Server Essentials in, What happens to OWA and RWW?

Instructions for the migration say to point 443 to the new 2016 Exchange server, but this will break RWW.

Do I have to choose between the two? Or is there a way they can peacefully coexist?

Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you need to implement some kind of context switching - either on the Exchange 2016 IIS default web site or put something in front of the two webservers. Any reverse proxy worth its salt should be able to handle that.

BUT.

Even with Essentials in place, you won't be able to have OWA and RWW under the same URL without a context switcher directing the traffic so maybe now would be a good time to introduce a new URL for OWA, RWW - or even both?

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Sunday, August 25, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Below configuration will helpful for avoiding port conflict:
    If Windows Server Essentials and the server running Exchange Server are both connected to the same router and there is only one inbound Internet connection from your Internet Service Provider to the router, you must use a reverse proxy solution to route different types of remote access requests from the Internet based on the destination host names.

Integrate an On-Premises Exchange Server with Windows Server Essentials:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/integrate-an-on-premises-exchange-server-with-windows-server-essentials

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Below configuration will helpful for avoiding port conflict:
    If Windows Server Essentials and the server running Exchange Server are both connected to the same router and there is only one inbound Internet connection from your Internet Service Provider to the router, you must use a reverse proxy solution to route different types of remote access requests from the Internet based on the destination host names.

Integrate an On-Premises Exchange Server with Windows Server Essentials:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/integrate-an-on-premises-exchange-server-with-windows-server-essentials

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I knew about using ARR when the Essential server went in, but will this work on the SBS 2011 server until I get the Essentials server in?

My problem is that I would like a period of coexistence between SBS 2011 and Exchange 2016, before the Essentials Server goes in.

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Add another publish IP address and bind OWA to this new IP address with port 443 would be recommended.

Otherwise, during migration period, we need to configure port redirection to your OWA via network device in order to avoid port conflict. Network device provider may provide you detail solution about this.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:52 AM
  • While the IP address is the most elegant solution, this will not work for this particular migration. Not sure port redirection will work either.

I will be using the multiple IP solution on a couple of other migrations I am doing, as they have access to another IP.

For this migration I do not have an IP and I need something simple that will be hard for someone who "just needs things to work". My solution will likely be to configure the IP for exchange and have the users use a third party remote control until the migration is complete.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:24 PM