none
Migrate DPM 2010 to DPM2012 on New Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I'm browsed the topics on this but couldn't find the exact scenario I'm hoping for.

I currently have DPM2010 installed on an ML350G5 with a MSA60 attached to it.  I plan to upgrade to a ML370G6 to get some additional capacity, performance, warranty, etc.  The plan is to just move the storage to the new server.  The new server will have the same RAID controller so the new server see the data just fine.  Will it be possible for DPM to see this storage just as it saw it on the old server and pick back up right where it left off without having to recreate any replicas?

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Caleb44,

I always use DPMbackup.exe to backup DPMDB.

1. On the DPM server, open an elevated command prompt window, type cd <system drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin, and then type DPMBackup.exe -db and press ENTER.
    2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups. The file name of the DPM database backup is DPMDB.bak.

Remember to store DPMDB.bak in a safe location.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, November 2, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi Caleb44,

You can't directly migrate DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 on New hardware.

You need first upgrade DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 then migrate on new hardware.

Assuming your storage remains "as is".

1- in place Upgrade DPM 2010 to DPm 2012 : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848291.aspx

2 - Backup DPMDB, copy DB to safe location and then shutdown OLD DPM server.

3 - Build your new DPM server using same name as old

4 - Expose Old DPM storage (MSA60) to new DPM server

5 - Restore DPMDB: DPMSync –RestoreDB –DBLoc

6 - Synchronizes restored databases: run DPMSYNC -sync

Verify that all your PG are green.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Edited by Stephane LADUNE Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Caleb44 Friday, November 2, 2012 3:20 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Caleb44,

You can't directly migrate DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 on New hardware.

You need first upgrade DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 then migrate on new hardware.

Assuming your storage remains "as is".

1- in place Upgrade DPM 2010 to DPm 2012 : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848291.aspx

2 - Backup DPMDB, copy DB to safe location and then shutdown OLD DPM server.

3 - Build your new DPM server using same name as old

4 - Expose Old DPM storage (MSA60) to new DPM server

5 - Restore DPMDB: DPMSync –RestoreDB –DBLoc

6 - Synchronizes restored databases: run DPMSYNC -sync

Verify that all your PG are green.

Stephane

• Edited by Stephane LADUNE Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Caleb44 Friday, November 2, 2012 3:20 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Your Awesome!  Thank you very much Stephane.

What is the best way to backup the DPM Database?

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hi Caleb44,

I always use DPMbackup.exe to backup DPMDB.

1. On the DPM server, open an elevated command prompt window, type cd <system drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin, and then type DPMBackup.exe -db and press ENTER.
    2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups. The file name of the DPM database backup is DPMDB.bak.

Remember to store DPMDB.bak in a safe location.

Stephane

Friday, November 2, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Thanks again Stephane
    Friday, November 2, 2012 3:20 PM