locked
Alerts not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All

    I have SharePoint 2007 setup where i notice that the alerts does not trigger frequently. The initial alert work but not the subsequent. Its the same behavior of existing and new items. If i do a config cache reset or just restart the OWSTIMER the alerts starts flowing. I have only one site collection with content database of size 25 GB. Initially when i was troubleshooting the issue, i created a new site collection in the same content db and confirmed the alerts working on the new site but not so with the my production site collection. Also confirmed that the timer job for the respective web app is running fine.

    I checked the ULS logs [verbose enabled] but could not find any trace related to failure [probably i am not sure what needs to be seen :(]. But after the restart of the timer service when the alerts are working i see below trace:

     

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.13         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x197C        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 5utp        Verbose         Scheduled timer job Immediate Alerts, id {220FAA4B-AFD6-4E1F-AE4E-217838A0DE3F} at 08 Feb 2011 04:45:50 -0800 (now is 08 Feb 2011 04:40:50 -0800)         

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.13         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 8e45        Verbose         Begin invoke timer job Immediate Alerts, id {220FAA4B-AFD6-4E1F-AE4E-217838A0DE3F}, DB {CCFDC391-08F7-4ED3-8FFD-D6B545511E7A}        

     

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.15         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95lc        Verbose         AlertsJob loaded 4 of 4 event data records        

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.15         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95ld        Verbose         AlertsJob loaded 321 of 321 subscription records        

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.23         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95lg        Verbose         Alertsjob results for immediate delivery: 1284 prematches, 44 passed filtering, 12 of 44 passed security trimming, 3 final after rollup        

    02/08/2011 04:40:50.23         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95lh        Verbose         Alertsjob results for scheduled delivery: 0 prematches, 0 passed filtering, 0 of 0 passed security trimming, 0 final after rollup        

    02/08/2011 04:40:51.37         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95l5        Verbose         AlertsJob processed 2 immediate notifications in 2 digests, sent 1 emails, failed to send 0 emails        

    02/08/2011 04:40:51.71         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 95l5        Verbose         AlertsJob processed 1 immediate notifications in 1 digests, sent 1 emails, failed to send 0 emails        

     

    02/08/2011 04:40:51.73         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0A34)                           0x0A80        Windows SharePoint Services           Timer                                 8e46        Verbose         End invoke timer job Immediate Alerts, id {220FAA4B-AFD6-4E1F-AE4E-217838A0DE3F}, DB {CCFDC391-08F7-4ED3-8FFD-D6B545511E7A}        

    I have not toggled the alert setting yet that is running the below commands:

    -o setproperty -propertyname alerts-enabled -propertyvalue false -url  <site collection url>
    -o setproperty -propertyname alerts-enabled -propertyvalue true -url <site collection url>
    -o setproperty -propertyname job-immediate-alerts -propertyvalue "every 5 minutes"  -url <site collection url>

    I afraid doing the above may delete my existing alerts.

    NOTE: There is only one timer job [a custom job but not related to alert] which is failing daily. Can that cause this issue.

    Please suggest what should i check.

    Regards


    Regards Ram
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:42 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

     

    There are 2 cases where an alert will not work as intended. Please check this post where I have explained those 2 scenarios.

     

    Thanks,

    Chanakya

    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, February 18, 2011 8:45 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:49 AM