none
DPM2010: Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed (3178) RRS feed

• Question

• DPM was unable to create the shadow copy of the replica volume.

Creation of recovery points for SERVER\SQLBD on SERVER.example.local have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3178)
    DPM encountered a persistent VSS failure and hence restarted some VSS services to rectify the failure. (ID: 32561)

Anyone with any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Can't find anything relevant in the eventlogs on the servers.
    The backup fails on the 'master' DB of a SQL 2008 server.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:56 AM

All replies

• Did you ever find a resolution for this? I'm having the same problem trying to back up a Windows 2003 R2 server with SQL 2005. It only started occurring after a reboot of the server last night.

I've tried stopping and starting the vss service on the server but it makes no difference.

vssadmin list writers shows no results and just a message saying it's waiting...

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:36 AM
  • First check if your VSS is all working as they should be by running vssadmin list writers.

then check the eventlog under application and services - Microsoft - Windows - Backup and see what is reporting their.

Check the SQL database job logs and events. you should see any relative errors there as well.

Get back with the information.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:43 PM
  • In my situation we're seeing the following.

Event log only shows the error on the SQL server 'The backup operation that start at time has completed with errors. Please review the event details for a solution, then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

vssadmin list writers shows no errors

The DPMRACurr.errlog shows the VSS snapshot requestor start snapshot process failing with 0x809909b0.

Anyone with ideas out there other than restarting the server?

Monday, March 5, 2012 2:45 AM