Unable to save user views... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have a user on Proclarity Standard (Analytics server version 6.2) that is unable to save / delete views. Other users are not facing this problem. It seems to be as if it his local machine. As an administrator, I have gotten him to disable his firewall, rebooted his machine... all to no avail.

He was able to save views before. I do not know if any windows update has caused problems. All user machines are on XP.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to fix this user's problem

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:57 PM

Answers

• Bob,

We finally resolved the issue:

The permissions that you stated in the above directories were not getting propogated from the parent. i.e. the PAS directory. So that was a definate problem.

However after fixing the permissions, the user still had the same problem.

I went into the roles in the Analytics server Admin tool and on the Access Rights tab gave the user "Author" permission whereas earlier all of the users were set up with only "Reader"

That seems to have fixed the issue.

Although we are still unclear as to what changed suddenly. All of these users were set up with "Reader" access rights since over a year and have been functioning.

Thanks for your help in resolving this.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• Does the user receive an error message when attempting to save or delete a My View?  Does the behavior change if the user logs in to a different workstation, then tries to save a view to their My Views?  Are there any corresponding messages in the ProClarity event log on the server?

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:49 PM
  • After reading your reply, I made the user login into another machine and the same problem occurs. He can view the views he had saved in his My views folder a while back, but cannot save any new views, nor he can he delete any view.

The message he gets is "Web site does not exist". The event log on the server shows the following error messages, everytime he tried to save the view:

"The user does not have access rights to this object".

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:14 PM

• Are there any Active Directory considerations here?  Is the user on the same domain as the PAS?  Anything that makes this user different from others?  Which authentication methods are configured on the PAS virtual directory?  One way to gain some insight may be to run a Profiler trace on SQL when the user attempts the save/delete to see if there is any activity on the repository itself.  Or, what about the IIS log?  It may show something as well if the message states that the web site doesn't exist.

-Bob

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:27 PM
  • This user was working all along. Nothing I notice is different about his login. I will run Profiler tomorrow when he comes in tomorrow & see if the repository is being accessed. The authentication configured on the PAS virtual dir is Integrated Windows Authentication.

The problem is only this one user and we are not sure how to resolve this.

Any ideas or tips will be helpful.

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Could be a problem only for this user due to some record corruption, or even just one of the My Views.  Perhaps you could try copying the My Views out of the database, then delete them and have the user start from scratch to see if that resolves the issue.  You could publish the user's My Views as a briefing book, then have the user save them back to their My Views one at a time until you find the problematic view.  Here are some instructions to expose the user's My Views as a briefing book that will show up in the PAS admin tool for you to open with the Professional client:

1 - Open ProClarity_PAS database on SQL server, right click the Libraries table and return all rows.

2 - Find the record with the Caption of "FAVORITES".

3 - Alter the GUID from {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540001} to {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540000} (simply change the 1 at the end to a different number) and the TYPE to "BRIEFINGBOOK".

4 - Refresh the SQL databases folder, and refresh PAS in the Admin Tool and you should now see the FAVORTIES library show up.

5 - You can now access your end users My Views using the Professional client or Admin Tool, and make any changes and republish them.

If this doesn't get you all the way home it should at least provide some further insight into where the issue lies and possibly a recovery plan.  Please be sure to back up your repository before performing any work on the database.

-Bob

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Bob,

Thanks for your help and pointers. However nothing seems to have helped so far. Since this morning we have tested several other users (5 so far) and they are all having the same issue. All of these users have used views extensively before and have several views of their own. They are unable to save new ones or delete old ones. They also all use Proclarity Standard. The two of us that have Professional & are set up under the Proclarity admin role are fine.

This leads me to believe something has changed on their logins perhaps. All of these users have the same issue regardless of the machine they log into. Our IT Support department is investigating this to determine if something has changed from their end.

Saving / deleting views requires access to the repository and this is where the "web page not available" message is thrown. The proclarity event log shows the same message for all users i.e. The user does not have access rights to this object. 

If there is anything else you can think of, please let me know. So far we have reached no resolution as yet.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:15 PM
  • You might try adding one of the users to an admin group on PAS to begin with, then if that doesn't work, to an admin group on SQL to see if that helps narrow down where the issue lies.  Did you try Profiler to see if anything shows up there?

-Bob

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Also, I would recommend turning off friendly http error messages in one the user's browser to see if you get a more detailed error message.  In addition, if you're in a PAS admin role and can save My Views without issue using the standard client, then it must be role or rights related.  There are some required NTFS permissions for standard users as well that you might confirm:

$\inetpub\wwwroot\PAS - READ
    $\inetpub\wwwroot\PAS\CACHE - READ, WRITE, MODIFY
    $\inetpub\wwwroot\PAS\EN\TEMP - READ, WRITE, MODIFY

-Bob
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Bob,

First of all thank you for all your help in this matter.

We have tried a few things since my last post, although we have still not resolved the issue.

I changed a user to have admin access & that user had no problem saving the view. So it does appear to be roles / rights related.

I have confirmed the above IIS permissions as you have stated above & they are as you have mentioned. What else should I check?

Proclarity at our company was installed by one of the Proclarity consultants before I got involved.

If there is anything else you can suggest, please do let me know.

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Did you try turning off friendly http error messages as I recommended in my prior post?  Was the resulting error message any more desriptive?  You might also try tracking the http traffic from the client machine by using a utility on the workstation called Fiddler (www.fiddlertool.com) to see what is taking place when the request is sent from the browser.

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Bob,

We finally resolved the issue:

The permissions that you stated in the above directories were not getting propogated from the parent. i.e. the PAS directory. So that was a definate problem.

However after fixing the permissions, the user still had the same problem.

I went into the roles in the Analytics server Admin tool and on the Access Rights tab gave the user "Author" permission whereas earlier all of the users were set up with only "Reader"

That seems to have fixed the issue.

Although we are still unclear as to what changed suddenly. All of these users were set up with "Reader" access rights since over a year and have been functioning.

Thanks for your help in resolving this.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:32 PM