none
Problem with application hangs due to EMET 5.5 EAF mitigation after Windows 7 April 2016 updates RRS feed

• Question

• After having installed the Windows 7 04/2016 updates today, I found that I couldn't start Firefox anymore - it just hangs and uses up 1 core. Then I tried IE - hangs and eats up another core. Same for Chrome and Opera. Then I began to suspect EMET and started Word 2010, Adobe Reader, Thunderbird, WL Mail - all the same. Applications not opted into EMET continued to work.

I then tried to deactivate EMET's mitigations one by one and found that I had to disable "EAF" mitigation to use my apps again.

(I didn't yet try to find out which of the updates is the root of this by uninstalling 1 by 1, since WU took so long (hours) to find updates _at all_ that I haven't yet dared... Maybe later I'll try to install the updates manually on another machine and see if I find sth.)

Is it just me who's seeing this?

System: 32bit Windows 7 Enterprise, EMET 5.5, all updates from WU (except MSRT) installed.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:25 PM

All replies

• It's not just you.  It affected all of my Windows 7 32 bit systems.  I didn't spend any time trying to trace down a specific patch that was the cause, I just ended up having to disable the EAF mitigation for all applications to get everything running again.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:51 PM
  • OK, I've now researched a little bit on a second machine (also Windows 7 32 bit with EMET 5.5) by installing patches one at a time:

Both KB3146706 or KB3147071 alone are sufficient to trigger the problem: Applications opted into EMET hang when EAF mitigation is enabled.

• Proposed as answer by teo2112 Friday, April 15, 2016 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:03 PM
  • We've experienced this as well. We were using the EMET 5.5 ADMX's which don't allow for the granular management of EAF from what i can gather. Back to GPPrefs I suppose.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:58 PM
  • We're seeing this same behavior...frustrating.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:54 PM
  • OK, I've now researched a little bit on a second machine (also Windows 7 32 bit with EMET 5.5) by installing patches one at a time:

Both KB3146706 or KB3147071 alone are sufficient to trigger the problem: Applications opted into EMET hang when EAF mitigation is enabled.

Nicely done!  It's not just you, as has been reported in other responses to this thread.  Ditto here, too.  Upvote for you, fstue, for doing more investigative work!  I did the same and can confirm that it's either of these updates that produce the problem behavior.

Are you listening, Microsoft?

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:37 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue. Windows 7 32 bit and EMET 5.5.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:49 PM