none
Shutting down SBS 2011 standaed domain and move to small workgroup. RRS feed

• Question

• We have been running SBS 2011 standard for 7 years. Our business now is only 3 members and our email is out sourced. I would like to remove the SBS 2011 from our network and just use a work group for the last 3 members as we are all retirement age and will be closing in the next 3 years. We have all data backed up and security is minimal for the remaining people.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:21 PM

Answers

• HI
    Thanks for your reply.
    " One of the issues we are having is that the sbs2011 controls our internet connection with changes that it made when we installed it."
    did you mean the integrate DNS on SBS2011 ? i think we can set DNS on hardware router.
    " The sbs2011 will not let us connect to the outside resource for our email"
    there is a document for your reference
    https://www.techradar.com/news/best-email-hosting-providers
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lost in LA Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:20 PM

All replies

• HI
    1 did you want to migrate sbs2011 to windows server 2019 essentials in workgroup ?
    2 what's function did you want to use in new destination server ? there are some function removed from windows server 2019 essentials.
    what's new in server essentials 2019
    https://www.theofficemaven.com/news/windows-server-2019-essentials

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:32 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:42 PM
  • Andy thanks for the response.

We will not be migrating to new server. We are going to have 3 pc's in our little office since we are all going to retire in the next 3 years. We have out sourced our email and that is where we are having our biggest problem. The sbs2011 server is going to be shutdown. One of the issues we are having is that the sbs2011 controls our internet connection with changes that it made when we installed it. I would like to undo those changes. When we outsourced the email we used the same domain we have had for years. The sbs2011 will not let us connect to the outside resource for our email. Is there a way to gracefully shutdown the sbs server to alleviate these problems. I have backups of all email and data that was in our network since 2001. I will not be losing any data by shutting down server. Thanks again.

Doug

Monday, September 9, 2019 2:54 PM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply.
    " One of the issues we are having is that the sbs2011 controls our internet connection with changes that it made when we installed it."
    did you mean the integrate DNS on SBS2011 ? i think we can set DNS on hardware router.
    " The sbs2011 will not let us connect to the outside resource for our email"
    there is a document for your reference
    https://www.techradar.com/news/best-email-hosting-providers

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

• Marked as answer by Lost in LA Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Andy thanks,

I had a senior moment but your answer was like a light bulb going off. I knew it was a dns issue but was trying to make it more difficult. My dns servers on the router were internal servers and one external that was old and no longer worked. We lost one of our servers in Dec.2018 which was also one of our dns servers and a pop3 forwarder and the 2011 was our primary email server and a dns server. Thanks again.

Doug

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:20 PM