Visible warning if email address is outside of local domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has come across a product or knows of a way to make Outlook provide a visible warning to users is the email address is outside of the domain you are sending the email from?

I know you can do rules in Exchange to provide Message Tips, but I have been informed that's not visible enough. Is there a way of changing the TO or SUBJECT bars if the to address doesn't contain certain phrases?

Any advice is welcome on this as we may have to engage with MS in a couple of weeks on it if we cannot resolve it ourselves.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:11 PM

All replies

• You may want to take a look at the Safeguard Send add-in by Sperry Software. It allows you to configure various warnings including when the recipient is outside of your corporate domain or to a specific domain.

Administrators can also lock down the configuration of the add-in so that users can't disable the set warnings.

If you decide to order, use BH93RF24 to get a discount.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Roady has provided a suggestion for Outlook add-in. You can try it.

With Outlook build-in settings, the Outlook Rules can delay the message delivery and move this message to a specific folder. There is no Rule Action for changing the TO or SUBJECT bars for outgoing message.

If you accept the workaround to use message delivery delay and move to specific folder for the outside emails, we can do the following setting in Outlook Rules:

1. In Outlook, click File > Info > Manage Rules & Alerts.
    2. Click New Rules, select Apply rule on messages I send, click Next.
    3. Do not select any conditions, click Next. For the prompted Information window, click Yes.
    4. Select defer delivery by a number of minutes and move a copy to the specified folder. Set minutes and folder, click Next.
    5. In exceptions page, select "except with specific words in the recipient's address". Set specific words to your domain name such as @mydomain.com. For example:

Then you can send a test message to an external email address, the email would be delayed in Outbox and leave a copy in test folder

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Thanks Winnie, but I don't think this is going to be a desirable solution. Also, the administration of it would be too difficult for any significant number of users,

Robert, I will look into SafeGuard, thanks (Especially for the discount code! :))

Keep them coming guys, we will evaluate any good solutions provided.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Thanks Winnie, but I don't think this is going to be a desirable solution. Also, the administration of it would be too difficult for any significant number of users,

Robert, I will look into SafeGuard, thanks (Especially for the discount code! :))

Keep them coming guys, we will evaluate any good solutions provided.

Yes, it is not the solution. Just a workaround with build-in settings (though it is far from your requirement) and share the information to you :)

Please focus on the Add-in provided by Roady. Hope it works. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:53 AM
  • This rule will defer all outgoing emails, as the recipient address will always have a part that is not @microsoft.com 

winnie@microsoft.com has "winnie", so the message will defer too.

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:40 AM