none
Estimate Space Saving using Online Archiving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have an a big mailbox (50gb). I want enable the online archiving to store to a different database the mails older than 2 Years.

How can estimate (or simulate) the space saving (and the space archiving require) for a single mailbox based on retention policy set for mailbox?

Best regards

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi, your command don't help me. I need to Estimante the mailbox space saving Before activate Online Archiving

Thank you

That would be almost impossible to determine, short of you adding up the sizes of all the messages using EWS or manually.

There would be no space released on the storage where the primary mailbox is either, it would simply be available whitespace 

Friday, November 22, 2019 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Marco Milone,

You can use the following command to get size of all online archive mailboxes:

get-mailbox | get-mailboxstatistics -archive -erroraction silentlycontinue | ft displayname,totalitemsize

For more detailed information about Get-MailboxStatistics

A related case here about the calculation of mailbox size: 

When Enabling in-place archiving, mailbox size is not reduced

In addition, check the Mailbox storage limits as well.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:20 AM
  • Hi, your command don't help me. I need to Estimante the mailbox space saving Before activate Online Archiving

Thank you

Friday, November 22, 2019 5:01 PM

Thank you

That would be almost impossible to determine, short of you adding up the sizes of all the messages using EWS or manually.

There would be no space released on the storage where the primary mailbox is either, it would simply be available whitespace 

Friday, November 22, 2019 6:15 PM

Thank you

Yes, i want estimate a whitespace.. I hope that i must use a eDiscovery Search technology.

I was found an script but the links is broken :(

Monday, November 25, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

What about referring to the following article:

Exchange 2016 Mailbox Database Whitespace

Detailed steps and command about how to estimate the whitespace in the database.

Get-MailboxDatabase "Mailbox Database" -Status | fl Name,AvailableNewMailboxSpace

And Eseutil /ms

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Thank but i want estimate space BEFORE user email archiving. I must estimate how mani space is free after email archiving to Archive database.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:38 AM