Notification area icons missing RRS feed

• Question

• We're having an issue with a large number of our domain joined Windows 7 SP1 machines.  Some of the icons which normally appear in the notification/system tray area are not there, there's a gap where the icon should be and if you right-click the icons that are there they just move to the left; the right-click menu doesn't open.  This happens for existing user profiles and also new profiles created from the Default user profile.  I do have the Notification area set to "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".

The solution here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13102-notification-area-icons-reset.html does work but only for the current user, I also need to make the change for the Default user profile.  I've tried loading the Default user profile into Regedit but the path listed in the article above does not exist.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or even a technical explaination for why this happens in the first place?

Thanks.

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi J. Wall,

Although you configured the “Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar” setting, you can still try to set this following registry setting first:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Add the DWORD value "EnableAutoTray", double-click it, and set the hexadecimal value to "0".

Let’s check what happens after reboot.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:42 AM
  • I'll need to find another machine with the problem since it comes and goes but I'm going to speculate that your trick will not work.  It's like Windows thinks the icon is there, because there's a space for it, but it just doesn't draw it in.

It seems to be that this is not an uncommon issue but the only solutions I've found online deal with fixing it for a existing, logged in user profile, not all profiles on the machine and not for the default user profile which is what I need.

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the current situation now?

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Nothing has changed, the issue still exists. I have been working on a script to use the process outlined in the article I linked to in my original post but for every existing user and all new users on my machines.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:58 PM