User is unable to change password-Password is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A user is unable to change his password- password is incorrect! He is running Windows 7 Professional in a domain environment. The first cause that comes to mind is incorrect typing of the password, but that is not the case. I have searched all the relevant forums I could find on the subject, but with no luck.

Also, the user can’t login after system wakes up from sleep. In order to log in, he has to turn off the Num Lock or press the “Switch User” button and retype his username and password.

Any light on the issue will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:51 AM

All replies

• Num Lock seems to be the answer to your question.  I am guessing this is a laptop that does not have a num pad.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

The laptop does have a num pad. It's HP Probook 6560b. Also he is supposed to change his password within 3 days, but when he enters the new one the same message appears "The username or password is incorrect". I even tried typing a new password myself (meeting all password requirements), but still a dead end!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:20 AM
  • What happened with this? Did you change the password on another machine or did you finally get this to work?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:57 PM
  • The Final solution was to reinstall Windows 7. Nothing else helped. Thank you! Take care!
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:47 PM