Microsoft store drivers installing automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

this problem is new to us. About 2 months ago, I think but am not sure since Windows 1909 version entered into our deployment I am seeing an installation of drivers over Microsoft store after the FIRST login, after fresh windows deployment. How can I block this? Also not sure, but I think that the installations start even before the first login - sorry not sure like I said.

Cheers

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:33 PM

All replies

• To prevent the driver from being reinstalled by Windows Update, use the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the driver. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates.
    To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

I hope this helps!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

no this does not help at all. I need to prevent this from happening in the first place. That means some kind of a GPO, something in SCCM or a third option I never heard of.

Cheers

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:41 PM
  • There are several settings but they are global for all the apps.  So you can prevent Apps from auto updating. Drivers would not come from the Store but from Windows Update, unless the driver is a Store App which Dell and several others are using.  For that reason, you shouldn't block the update so it can be the latest version.  

Is the issue due to bandwidth, user issues?

You can block Feature updates from appearing in the store, Apps from auto updating, you can use AppLocker to block a particular app.  

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet. You can use the group policy to stop Windows from installing drivers for specific devices to have a try. 

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions. Please refer to:

Stop Windows from installing drivers for specific devices
    How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10
    Stop Windows From Automatically Installing Drivers

Thanks for your time. 

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

Hope everything goes well. May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:12 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I have enabled "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings", but just now. For the results to "kick in" I have to deploy Windows 10 to a Laptop. I will do this during the day and let you know.

Cheers

Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

so on the test machine, where win10 was installed, I did not notice any installation messages, but, couple of moments ago one of my colleges called me and told me that he got a message when he inserted a SD card, that the installation cannot proceed because of the GPO setting. As soon as I disabled the settings and ran a gupdate/force the card was visible in my computer.

So this is not the solution. I thought I said that the driver installation was coming from the MICROSOFT STORE. Our store is blocked, but is there another setting which can prevent this?

Cheers

• Edited by Tonito Dux Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:42 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:39 AM