none
RAID became RAW?

Question

• Hi there

Yesterday my computer was shut down when I returned home.  I may have lost power but I am connected to a UPS that should have kept me safe from any surges.  Turning the computer on, my RAID5 drive (drive letter M) is gone and a mysterious new drive has appeared, labeled as drive E, also showing as a RAW drive. In disk management, I can see that drive M is its normal size, 11177.94GB.  I am using 4x4TB drives.  Intel Rapid Storage Technology shows all four drives as healthy and functional.  Drive E shows in Disk Management the same as Drive M, and I have no idea how it ended up there and what I should do with it.  My C drive shows up and works normally, where I have my OS and programs installed.

Not sure where to start, but hoping it is just an issue with the MBR?  

Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Very strange, I have not seen this issue before. Can you still work with it? 

If it is not working now, here are some general solutions we could try.
    If this RAID is based on hardware, try to reinstall last version of compatible driver for the RAID controller. Check the device manufacturer website.
    If this RAID is based on the software, we could back up the data to an external media and re-create the RAID considering you are using RAID 5.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:09 AM
  • Hello, thanks for answering.  It is a software RAID, I believe, set up through Windows and my BIOS, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how I had done it.  

Unfortunately, the backup of this drive will be very expensive, as it covers nearly 12TB, but if I could access the files I would be willing to give it a try.

I'm thinking that somehow the file system became corrupt.  I had been able to fix this issue on a single drive by rebuilding the MBR but I'm not sure how to go about doing that with a RAID 5.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi ,

I got confused, if you setup RAID through BIOS, it should be hardware RAID.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:43 AM