none
Exchange 2013 to Office 365 Public Folder migration

Question

• Hello everyone,

We are in the process of planning for a Exchange 2013 to Office 365 Public Folder migration. We are happy with everything listed in Microsoft's Technet guidance (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt798260(v=exchg.150).aspx), except for the section on accepted domains.

We are in a hybrid configuration with all of our user mailbox in Exchange Online. The article mentions creating an accepted domain "New-AcceptedDomain -Name PublicFolderDestination_78c0b207_5ad2_4fee_8cb9_f373175b3f99 -DomainName "contoso.mail.onmicrosoft.com" -DomainType InternalRelay"

However, because we are in a hybrid setup we already have the following (on premise):

Name "contoso.mail.onmicrosoft.com"

Domain name "contoso.mail.onmicrosoft.com"

Type "Authoritive"

My questions are 

1) If I rename it will that break the normal mail flow?

2) Do I need to change the type from authoritative to internal relay?

3) Could I make an additional one as per the article?

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:58 PM

All replies

• 1)  Where in the instructions were you told to rename anything?

2)  Where in the instructions were you told to change an existing accepted domain?

3)  Enter the command exactly as the instruction says and nothing more.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for contacting our forum. The internal relay domain just for the mail enabled public folder objects during migration:

For your questions:

1. It won't;

2. No, we needn't;

3. Yes.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hello Ed,

In response to 1 and 2:

1)  Where in the instructions were you told to rename anything?

2)  Where in the instructions were you told to change an existing accepted domain?

From the technet article linked, "If the accepted domain already exists in your on-premises environment, rename it to PublicFolderDestination_78c0b207_5ad2_4fee_8cb9_f373175b3f99 and leave the other attributes intact."

3)  Enter the command exactly as the instruction says and nothing more

I will do so and update for anyone else with the same question.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Thank you Jason, I will do so and update for anyone else with the same question.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Okay, then you've pretty much answered your own question!

1)  Rename it as per the instructions.

2)  Don't change the type since the instructions say leave the other attributes intact.

3)  Not applicable since you're renaming.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:24 PM