none
Installing olapR through Microsoft R Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I would like to install the olapR package in order to access a SSAS cube via R. From what I've gathered, the only way to get the package is to install the Windows version of Microsoft R Client or one of the server versions. The web page for Microsoft R Client offers a link that currently downloads version 3.5.2, which I have installed. However, this version does not come bundled with olapR, and olapR cannot be installed with that version since olapR only works with R 3.4.3. I have not been able to find a link to download Microsoft R Client 3.4.3 anywhere.

My question is, is it still possible to download Microsoft R Client 3.4.3?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Eric Le Tortorec

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:01 AM

Answers

• I've just downloaded and (off-line) installed R Client as described here
    without any extras, only RClientSetup.exe (v 3.5.2.0 , 328MB) with slight difference for
    R-Open installation, instead of the one linked in instructions (SRO_3.5.2.0_1033.cab) picked later version (SRO_3.5.2.293_1033.cab - 81MB) as described here (had to rename it into SRO_3.5.2.0_1033.cab in order for setup to recognize it).

And guess what? Command library(olapR) successfully loads package and executes MDX queries without any problems (with both SROs..cab: older and newer ones). Here is my quick sample code:
    library(olapR)
    ssas_str<-"Data Source=.;Provider=MSOLAP;Initial Catalog=AW14;Cube=Adventure Works;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=RGui;" srv_conn<-OlapConnection(ssas_str) mdx0<-"with member x as now()member y as rnd()select{x,y,[Measures].[Internet Sales Amount],[Measures].[Internet Order Quantity]}on 0,non empty[Product].[Category].children on 1from[Adventure Works]" res<-execute2D(srv_conn,mdx0) colnames(res)<- letters[seq( from = 1, to = ncol(res) )] res packageVersion("olapR") # says "1.0.0" getRversion() # says "3.5.2" pck<-as.data.frame(installed.packages()) pck<-t(pck[which(pck$Package == "olapR"),]) data.frame(pck[which(!is.na(pck)),]) # Package: "olapR" # LibPath: "C:/Program Files/Microsoft/R Client/R_SERVER/library" # Version: "1.0.0" # Depends: "R (>= 3.2.2)" # Built: "3.5.2"
    # or quick way:
    packageDescription("olapR")
    So it works as expected, you don't even have to install it because it comes as part of bundle

Sunday, April 12, 2020 7:06 PM

All replies

• I've just downloaded and (off-line) installed R Client as described here
    without any extras, only RClientSetup.exe (v 3.5.2.0 , 328MB) with slight difference for
    R-Open installation, instead of the one linked in instructions (SRO_3.5.2.0_1033.cab) picked later version (SRO_3.5.2.293_1033.cab - 81MB) as described here (had to rename it into SRO_3.5.2.0_1033.cab in order for setup to recognize it).

And guess what? Command library(olapR) successfully loads package and executes MDX queries without any problems (with both SROs..cab: older and newer ones). Here is my quick sample code:
    library(olapR)
    ssas_str<-"Data Source=.;Provider=MSOLAP;Initial Catalog=AW14;Cube=Adventure Works;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=RGui;" srv_conn<-OlapConnection(ssas_str) mdx0<-"with member x as now()member y as rnd()select{x,y,[Measures].[Internet Sales Amount],[Measures].[Internet Order Quantity]}on 0,non empty[Product].[Category].children on 1from[Adventure Works]" res<-execute2D(srv_conn,mdx0) colnames(res)<- letters[seq( from = 1, to = ncol(res) )] res packageVersion("olapR") # says "1.0.0" getRversion() # says "3.5.2" pck<-as.data.frame(installed.packages()) pck<-t(pck[which(pck$Package == "olapR"),]) data.frame(pck[which(!is.na(pck)),]) # Package: "olapR" # LibPath: "C:/Program Files/Microsoft/R Client/R_SERVER/library" # Version: "1.0.0" # Depends: "R (>= 3.2.2)" # Built: "3.5.2"
    # or quick way:
    packageDescription("olapR")
    So it works as expected, you don't even have to install it because it comes as part of bundle

Sunday, April 12, 2020 7:06 PM
  • Thanks a lot Yuri, this is just what I needed!

I had managed to find an older version of Microsoft R Client (3.3.2) through https://my.visualstudio.com but some of the packages I needed were not supported. Version 3.5.2 is just what I need and I managed to connect to the SSAS cube.

I guess the R-Open *.cab file included in the official instructions does not include olapR, which is why you used a newer version of the *.cab file?

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:40 PM