Windows XP/ NVidia issues after Microsoft Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 computers in my possession with the same issue. Video is stuck at 600x800 with 4 colors. All have XP, and two of them are fresh installs. The o/s reload cured the problem until Windows Update kicked in. Now the problems have returned. The Nvidia driver is current and was properly re-installed to no avail. Does anyone have any info on this, as it only seems to be a prob with XP and happened within the last 4 days. Service pack does not seem to matter ( 2 or 3 ).
    Monday, October 11, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Tip: Obtain any necessary driver updates only from the device or computer manufacturers' download page only, NEVER Windows Update!

To avoid having Automatic Updates download/install driver updates, change your AU configuration to the Notify Only setting. After doing so, you will have to Approve which updates are downloaded, which updates are installed & when they're installed. If & when a driver update's offered, hide it ("Don't show me this update again") instead of downloading/installing it.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:13 PM

All replies

• I am having the same issue with several computers.  It seems to be happening with certain Nvidia cards and not all nvidia cards.....I also have had one issue with a Nvidia raid card after the updates.....still looking into it and trying to see if I can find the exact update that is causing the problem.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I had a laptop with an nvidia card crash on me on Tuesday, and now at all times (during post and in windows) it tiles the screen 8 times with the same desktop and I can only get into safemode. Rolling back does nothing. I initially assumed the graphics card must be fried, but then just today I connected another computer with an nvidia card to the internet and it downloaded updates and then crashed. It also can only get into safe mode and shows artifacts during boot up but is fine in safe mode. I tried reverting back to before the update on it too and I still can't get into normal Windows |Vista. Any ideas? I think there's something that was caused by the latest updates, as both systems were working fine before and both have nvidia cards.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:21 AM
  • seeing the same thing, removing the updates doesn't fix the problem. geforce 7300 on 2 dell dimension e520s. not seeing much chatter on this which is weird. apparently not a lot of people are having this problem. i'm doing some virus/rootkit scanning now cause i've run out of other options.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the Windows Update Forum.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Tip: Obtain any necessary driver updates only from the device or computer manufacturers' download page only, NEVER Windows Update!

To avoid having Automatic Updates download/install driver updates, change your AU configuration to the Notify Only setting. After doing so, you will have to Approve which updates are downloaded, which updates are installed & when they're installed. If & when a driver update's offered, hide it ("Don't show me this update again") instead of downloading/installing it.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:13 PM
  • I have a HP laptop   and have lost  all my drivers for NVIDIA programs and hardware
    Friday, April 22, 2011 7:35 PM