none
Move offline address books from Exchange 2010 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am about to migrate an exchange 2010 infrastructure to Exchange 2016. Beside the default offline address book, there are a lot of offline address books created, one for each client. The MSExchUseOAB attribute is set for every maibox user to determine which OAB to download. 

How can I move these OAB-s to the exchange 2016. I cannot simply change the OAB generation server for these OABs. What is the proper procedure for this, so the users still can download their designated OABs?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Ponyi,

As I said before, the architecture of OAB is different in Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2013, one generated by Exchange server, the another generated by system mailbox.

This picture below may be help to you, in a coexist environment with Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, there exist two versions of OAB, one for Exchange 2010, the another for Exchange 2013 and 2016.

You cannot use set-offlineaddressbook to migrate OAB, the only way is creating new OAB on Exchange 2016.

By the way, you cannot apply OAB to a user directly, you should apply OAB to a database, then all mailboxes in this database will use this OAB. If this value is null, mailboxes in this database will use default OAB.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

I did the follows:

i created a new offline address book on Exch 2016. Enabled Globalwebdistribution.

Created a new Address book policy, and included the GAL , and the newly created OAB and roomlist for the client. Assigned it to a user.

Here is what I saw: Starting outlook it sees the Address Book policy included address lists. But it doesn't see the offline address book to download. When I click to download the OAB it doesn't shows the new OAB's name.

However: Autodiscover gives back the OAB url. Under OAB directory I see the new oab. I can query it manually in browser, and gives back the xml.

But oulook just hangs and not donloading anything.

What can be the problem?

Regards,

Gabriel

Restart IIS on all the Exchange Servers.
    • Marked as answer by Ponyi Friday, September 7, 2018 9:01 AM
    Sunday, August 12, 2018 10:29 PM
  • Somehow got it to work. Maybe an IIS reset helped or something else but it is working now.

The only thing I'm still curious about, is how the oab files are distributed to the servers. I mean, that I have 2 servers with DAG. globalwebdistribution is enabled. The database, that the oab generation mailbox is in, is active on server1.

The oab files are only copied to the server1 OAB folder, Server2 OAB folder remains empty. Isn't the globalwebdistributon means that every server gets the oab files to their OAB folder?

Or only the server where the oab generation mailbox is currenty resides? That wouldn't make sense to me.

Its only on the server where the generation mailbox is. The web distribution refers to which CAS servers a client can download the files through. If you activate the DB to another server, they will be generated there. 
    • Marked as answer by Ponyi Friday, September 7, 2018 8:59 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Ponyi,

"change the OAB generation server" is only suitable for Exchange 2010. In Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016, OAB is generated by system mailbox rather than an Exchange server.

Due to the difference in construction, we cannot migrate OAB from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. The best way is creating new OAB on Exchange 2016.

Those commands below will be useful to you:

1. Check AddressLists  in OAB:

Get-OfflineAddressBook | fl name, AddressLists

2. Check which OAB assigned to database:

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl name,*off*

Regards, 

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

I red about this, it is just a little bit hazy how this works. So you say, that I should create new OABs on the Exchange 2016 server , and reset the MSExchUseOAB attribute for all users to these new OABs?

Or, is it possible to set the server parameter to $null for the OABs with the set-offlineaddressbook cmdlet, and then, set the generatingmailbox parameter to one of the system mailboxes residing in exch2016 server.

Regards

Gabriel

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Hi Ponyi,

As I said before, the architecture of OAB is different in Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2013, one generated by Exchange server, the another generated by system mailbox.

This picture below may be help to you, in a coexist environment with Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, there exist two versions of OAB, one for Exchange 2010, the another for Exchange 2013 and 2016.

You cannot use set-offlineaddressbook to migrate OAB, the only way is creating new OAB on Exchange 2016.

By the way, you cannot apply OAB to a user directly, you should apply OAB to a database, then all mailboxes in this database will use this OAB. If this value is null, mailboxes in this database will use default OAB.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

I did the follows:

i created a new offline address book on Exch 2016. Enabled Globalwebdistribution.

Created a new Address book policy, and included the GAL , and the newly created OAB and roomlist for the client. Assigned it to a user.

Here is what I saw: Starting outlook it sees the Address Book policy included address lists. But it doesn't see the offline address book to download. When I click to download the OAB it doesn't shows the new OAB's name.

However: Autodiscover gives back the OAB url. Under OAB directory I see the new oab. I can query it manually in browser, and gives back the xml.

What can be the problem?

Regards,

Gabriel

Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:44 PM
  • Hi Kyle,

I did the follows:

What can be the problem?

Regards,

Gabriel

Restart IIS on all the Exchange Servers.
    • Marked as answer by Ponyi Friday, September 7, 2018 9:01 AM
    Sunday, August 12, 2018 10:29 PM
  • I did. But nothing changed. Still not downloading the address list included in the OAB.
    • Unmarked as answer by Ponyi Friday, September 7, 2018 9:00 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Hi Ponyi,

After creating new OAB on Exchange 2016, you need to assign this new OAB to users.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Somehow got it to work. Maybe an IIS reset helped or something else but it is working now.

The only thing I'm still curious about, is how the oab files are distributed to the servers. I mean, that I have 2 servers with DAG. globalwebdistribution is enabled. The database, that the oab generation mailbox is in, is active on server1.

The oab files are only copied to the server1 OAB folder, Server2 OAB folder remains empty. Isn't the globalwebdistributon means that every server gets the oab files to their OAB folder?

Or only the server where the oab generation mailbox is currenty resides? That wouldn't make sense to me.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:22 PM

Its only on the server where the generation mailbox is. The web distribution refers to which CAS servers a client can download the files through. If you activate the DB to another server, they will be generated there. 
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:48 PM