none
How to use the modified Simulator Host provided with HIS 2013 Beta ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As per my initial observations about HIS 2013 Beta, i found that the Simulator Host provided is quite different from the earlier versions of HIS. As show below:

HIS 2009/2010:

HIS 2013:

Please help me understand, how to use this new Simulator Host?

• Edited by Rahul Sarkar Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:19 PM images skipped earlier
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Answers

• Yes, TI Manager has been removed. As a move to be more in line with other MS stuff, we have moved the configuration of TI WIP and HIP into app.config/web.config and hipservice.exe.config. In addition, you can use Azure caching to host your configuration.

The TI Configuration tool is just that, a tool...if you wish, you can open an app.config file in VS, and intellisense can be used to help define TI configurations.

To see what a config file for TI WIP looks like, open the app.config of the InstallationVerification project I mentioned above...for HIP, there is a hipservice.exe.config in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Host Integration Server 2013 Beta\SDK\Samples\ApplicationIntegration\HostInitiated\HIP-Something-Or-Other

You have asked "What is the purpose of putting <foo"> in HIS 2013"...well, life moves on, things change, old technology is replaced by new...there is no sinister evil plan to take over the world by putting these things in HIS 2013 :-). Plus we have listened to customers who have been asking for some time to have the configuration in app.config files etc.

(As usual, all my own thoughts).

Rob

• Marked as answer by Rahul Sarkar Friday, December 7, 2012 5:20 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• NOTE: this is not in anyway or form to be construed as an official Microsoft statement, neither of the company, nor the Host Integration Server team - basically its my blurb and mine only :-).

The easiest way to get to know the Simulator Host (Note the name: The old one was called Host Simulator - it simulated some things on a host. The new one is Simulator Host - it hosts simulators), is to do:

Workspaces -> Load Workspace and browse to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Host Integration Server 2013 Beta\SDK\Samples\ApplicationIntegration\WindowsInitiated

Select the file: AppIntTutorials.SHF

Then look at the property panels of the simulators and their listeners, use the Data File tab to look at the correlation between Simulator, Incoming Messages and returned messages.

If you go back to the Simulators tab, multi-select all the simulators and then click the start button; then you can go to the directory above, enter the InstallationVerification directory and run the VS solution. It should work without change, using the simulators installed in the simulator host, for all of the programming models.

Basically the Data Files tab allows you to define rules for deciding what should be returned for each incoming message, so that you can (to some extent) test your client code with various scenarios. It is much more flexible than the old Host Simulator.

Rob

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Thanks Rob, it worked successfully.

With earlier versions of HIS, we used to import WIP definitions on TI manager, before starting the sample applications.In HIS 2013, TI manager is removed.

Is TI configuration tool is a replacement for TI manger? What's the purpose of including that on HIS 2013 and how to use it?

Part of HIS Read me:

Removed Features

• Transaction Integrator TI Manger MMC snap-in administration toolYou should use the new TI configuration tool for creating application and web configuration files.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Yes, TI Manager has been removed. As a move to be more in line with other MS stuff, we have moved the configuration of TI WIP and HIP into app.config/web.config and hipservice.exe.config. In addition, you can use Azure caching to host your configuration.

The TI Configuration tool is just that, a tool...if you wish, you can open an app.config file in VS, and intellisense can be used to help define TI configurations.

To see what a config file for TI WIP looks like, open the app.config of the InstallationVerification project I mentioned above...for HIP, there is a hipservice.exe.config in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Host Integration Server 2013 Beta\SDK\Samples\ApplicationIntegration\HostInitiated\HIP-Something-Or-Other

You have asked "What is the purpose of putting <foo"> in HIS 2013"...well, life moves on, things change, old technology is replaced by new...there is no sinister evil plan to take over the world by putting these things in HIS 2013 :-). Plus we have listened to customers who have been asking for some time to have the configuration in app.config files etc.

(As usual, all my own thoughts).

Rob

• Marked as answer by Rahul Sarkar Friday, December 7, 2012 5:20 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Thanks Rob
    Friday, December 7, 2012 5:56 AM