Applied shim for Winamp, last fm plugin no longer working RRS feed

• Question

• Winamp was constantly triggering UAC at startup, so I used the Standard User Analyzer Wizard to create an app shim for Winamp, and installed the MSI. Now the UAC prompt is gone :)

Since I did this, I have problems with my last.fm plugin for Winamp. Its system tray icon is gone and I get an error message about being unable to load the http radio service. What I did is uninstall the plugin and reinstall it, but to no avail.

Now the plugin doesn't detect Winamp anymore. When I choose to browse to the .exe of Winamp, it can't be found any longer. I am sure I am looking in the right folder. Explorer tells me there IS a winamp.exe.
    But when I browse to the right location, no Winamp.exe is found. I suppose this has something to do with the virtualstore, but I can't put my finger on the problem exactly.

Hope you guys can help me out :) My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

• Moved by Jie Bao Friday, April 8, 2011 9:06 AM (From:Application Compatibility for Windows Development)
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hello J. Patje,

You don't need a shim to run Winamp without UAC prompts.  The Winamp UAC issues were resolved a while ago, and were discussed in the Winamp support forums: http://forums.winamp.com/  It sounds like you need to upgrade to the latest version of Winamp [Winamp 5.61, Build 3133 (5.6.1.3133) - 17 Mar 2011 - Revised: 22 Mar 2011].

I would remove the shim and try a clean install of Winamp 5.61.  With luck, the upgrade will fix the last.fm issue as well (I don't use that plug-in so I'm just guessing).  If you still have problems, the Winamp support forum is the best place to start.

Doug M. in NJ

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 11, 2011 2:44 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi J,

It is not a software compatibilty development problem, so I move it to the Windows 7 Applciation Compatibility forum for the better support.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Hello J. Patje,

You don't need a shim to run Winamp without UAC prompts.  The Winamp UAC issues were resolved a while ago, and were discussed in the Winamp support forums: http://forums.winamp.com/  It sounds like you need to upgrade to the latest version of Winamp [Winamp 5.61, Build 3133 (5.6.1.3133) - 17 Mar 2011 - Revised: 22 Mar 2011].

I would remove the shim and try a clean install of Winamp 5.61.  With luck, the upgrade will fix the last.fm issue as well (I don't use that plug-in so I'm just guessing).  If you still have problems, the Winamp support forum is the best place to start.

Doug M. in NJ

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 11, 2011 2:44 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi Mister Wizard,

Thanks for your answer. I already run the latest version, but the problem is still here. It begun when I installed a Winamp update, quite a while ago, I don't remember which version.

I also tried a clean install, with no success. That's why I used the shim.
    Anyway, I will look in the Winamp forums too.

Apparantly Winamp wants to access some protected system files... I don't really feel like re-installing Windows 7 for just this problem.
    If there are any more ideas from the MS forums part, I would like to know :)

Thanks.

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:33 PM
  • You're welcome.

There are number of threads on the UAC issue at the Winamp forums.  Cleaning out all old profile files and plug-ins followed by a clean install with admin privileges *on the installer* is what works for most people.

Good luck.

Friday, April 8, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Hello J. Patje.

Since Winamp is not the product from Microsoft, and some general suggestion like clean boot doesn’t work to solve your issue, you’d better contact Winamp Forum for the further support.

In addition, I will mark Mister Wizard’s suggestion as an answer. It could help other communities here who have the same issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Hello Leo,

I did post a question about this in the Last.fm forum, since now it is a problem with the plugin. I de-installed everything and then re-installed Winamp. Now it works just fine, without triggering UAC.

However, the last.fm scrobbler still gives an error at startup (httpinput, couldn't load radio service). And it does not detect Winamp. When I try to add the .exe by browsing my folder structure from within the last.fm software, it cannot 'see' outside the Virtualstore.

Winamp is NOT installed in the virtualstore, but in the usual location: c:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp.

So the thing I don't understand is why the Last.fm plugin software only runs in the virtualstore apparently, and cannot get outside of it...?
    The setup is ran as administrator.
    I am using the most recent version of Winamp and the plugin. I am still not sure if the problem is Windows or the plugin...

Other software seems to run fine on my system.

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, that seem the Last.fm plugin is not compatible with Windows 7. The program which is not compatible with Windows 7 will cause unexpected issue.

Furthermore, you can login with Clean Boot to determine if the issue related with Windows 7. If the issue still occurs in Clean boot, the problem should related with the plugin.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Thanks Leo. I will try this when I have the time. Maybe i'll use a virtual machine for it :)
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:32 PM