windows 8 desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently bought a laptop with windows 8 pro. I done all the initial configuration and everything seemed to work fine , i have also integrated it in my work domain. After a reboot ( and sync with Active Directory) the "Desktop" option from START dissapeared. I tried searching for it but windows returns no results. Can anyone help me with this problem because if I can't acces the desktop I can't work.

P.S. My account is not a domain administrator but it is a local administrator.

In hope of a helpful reply I thank you

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

My problem was generated by the GP from my domain. All I had to do is to put the computer and the user in the same AD container

Friday, September 6, 2013 12:25 PM

All replies

• Perhaps GPO applies to computer and not to user. What is resulting policy?

Just and idea: Search for Desktop with problem making account and pin Desktop to Start.

Rgds

Milos

• Edited by Milos Puchta Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:25 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:21 PM
  • "I have recently bought a laptop with windows 8 pro" start disappeared.

What brand of Laptop? This may give information a person can help you with. The people here are very friendly.

The start was not on the home page off the original I saw at best buy. The best buy tech showed me a button on the surface pro. It brought up start. I believe the update 8.1 put the start back on the home screen due to customer complaints.

I am sorry I cant help.

FOR MS. I was going to by wp8 with prepaid straight talk. Their term and policy do not allow me to upload or download for cloud use. Do your attorneys read others terms. I can get a track phone with more capability than wp8 after straight talk castrate's what I consider a one computer one phone solution.

Friday, September 6, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Thank you for your help. Indeed the problem was from the GPO. After some modifications and a "gpupdate" the desktop appeared in START. 
    Friday, September 6, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for your sharing. Actually, we can switch Start screen and Desktop easily by pressing Windows key on the keyboard.

For your issue about missing Desktop on Start screen, if you can provide more detailed steps to fix this issue, that will benefit more users who encountered the same issue as yours. 

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 6, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi ,

My problem was generated by the GP from my domain. All I had to do is to put the computer and the user in the same AD container

Friday, September 6, 2013 12:25 PM