none
DPM Truncating Exchange Logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a DPM 2012 R2 server which is backing up a Virtual Machine. (Hyper-V Host based backup)

The Virtual machine is Windows 2012 R2 and has Exchange 2013 installed.

There is also an in guest Exchange databases backup performed by Evault. 

The issue I am facing is as part of the DPM VM backup it is truncating some of the exchange logs which causes the in guest  Evault exchange backup to fail as it doesn't have the full set of logs to work from.

I can see event logs within the VM being logged with log file being deleted as part of the dpm vm backup:

Event 224 ESE, Information Store - Exch2013Db01 (7204) Exch2013Db01: Deleting log files L:\ExchangeLogs\Exchdb01Logs\E00000E6E5C.log to L:\ExchangeLogs\Exchdb01Logs\E00000E6EB9.log

Question: How can I disable / stop a DPM VM based backup truncating exchange logs?

There are some referances on the internet to 2008 guests and creating and configuring registry settings which do not work for 2012 r2 VMs. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8fa24259-e1bb-4cb0-b831-d42e1a720fdc/how-to-avoid-exchange-server-logs-truncation-when-hyperv-guest-os-gets-backed-up?forum=winserverhyperv

Thanks

John.

• Edited by John Horne Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

If your Hyper-V hosts are running Windows 2012 R2 you could disable the integration service "Backup (volume snapshot)" on the VM. Then DPM will not call the Exchange VSS-writers and truncate the logs during the backup.

And you do not have to worry about the machine being put in a saved state if you disable the integration service:
    Hyper-V Backup doesn’t interrupt running virtual machines (anymore)

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi Markus

Thanks for the reply.

I have considered this but I still want VSS to flush IO but without deleting logs so that my exchange DBs are consistent if I ever need to restore the VM.

DPM / VSS doesn't truncate the log file for SQL host based VM backup so why does it do it for exchange?

Cheers

John

Friday, August 26, 2016 9:27 AM