none
Server 2012 Server backups - "The drive cannot find the sector requested" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi please help, Windows Server backup keeps failing with an error "The drive cannot find the sector requested", I am doing a full backup to an external drive which has been dedicated for backups, it does about 94.6gb out of 95gb so is close to finishing. I have performed a check disk, updated all my hardware drivers (its a HP server with hardware mirrored drives), I am at a loss - does anyone have any ideas or solutions.

I have uninstalled and rebooted the server and then reinstalled but still get the same error

Also must add that this is a live server, oh and is my first server 2012 install (soon to be last!!)

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I searched for the error and a part of them are caused by hardware problem. So you may first check your hard disks to see if that is the cause.

Also it could be caused by corrupted cluster in the end of your backup files.

You can have a try to shrink a few MB in the end of your current drives and do the backup again to see the result. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I searched for the error and a part of them are caused by hardware problem. So you may first check your hard disks to see if that is the cause.

Also it could be caused by corrupted cluster in the end of your backup files.

You can have a try to shrink a few MB in the end of your current drives and do the backup again to see the result. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:30 PM
  • I have a new HP server running 2012 Essentials with the same problem. Not sure I buy the "corrupted cluster" suggestion, although I saw this elsewhere in searching for a solution. Seems more like a Microsoft glitch of some sort to me. Anyone else out there have this problem and anyone found a solution?
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hello,

Does this server happen to be a HP Proliant Gen8 and installed with 'HP Intelligent provisioning' ? (F10).
    Or is the Windows 2012 Server OS installed from a native DVD / USB boot stick?
    Regards,

Arian!

Hello!

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:56 PM
  • My collegue got some information from HP:

HP Quote:

I successfully reproduced the issue in our labs with  DL360p Gen8 and can confirm, that the issue does not occur with IP 1.30. I am doing further tests and collecting logs at the moment in preparation to pass on the case to our Engineering Resolution Team.

Will inform you, once I get a feedback.

So it seems it is Intelli 1.40 related.

Hello!

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I am having the same issue with a DL360e Gen8 with windows 2012.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Resizing Volume did the trick for me.  Thanks.
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Grimson: I can't easily tell the IP version because the server is up and in production, but it is a new ML350e Gen8 and I did us IP to install... so this is likely "the cause" of the problem. Unfortunately I have as yet been unable to get the shrink volume to work... just get the "Virtual Disk Manager - The parameter is incorrect" error.  Haven't tried the command line yet... want to see if someone comes up with the definitive solution before going there.  Appreciate your input... let me know if HP or Microsoft give you a solution.

PS I'm in the process of opening a case with HP at this time... If you have a case that I could reference for them it might be helpful. Right now I'm trying to get them to acknowledge the problem... Your information was very helpful, though, so thank you!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:12 PM
  • BenRLA: So did you just use the Disk Management GUI and it worked first time? Or did you have to go to the command line using DISKPART?  GUI is failing for me with a "the parameter is incorrect" regardless of what size I try to shrink by (very little or a lot).  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with a HP ML350p Gen8. Cannot get it to backup to a Buffalo Terastation. The backup fails at 98% with "The drive cannot find the sector requested". Is resizing the volume the correct way of fixing this? Did you get any information from HP?
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:38 AM
  • I tried shrinking the volume for C: by 1024 MB. That did not help, but now I'm getting another error message "The specified backup disk cannot be found."
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:27 AM
  • got the very same issue. tried 2 different hard drives as a system disk (both times installed OS freshly).

having the error "None of the items included in backup were backed up". (from the event log:The backup operation that started at '2013-06-07T15:42:21.665485400Z' has failed with following error code '0x80780049' (None of the items included in backup were backed up.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.).

backup details give: "The drive cannot find the sector requested":

it happens only, if system is included - no problem at all with backing any other drive or folder up.

windows server 2012 essentials.
    hp proliant ML310e Gen8.

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I hate to jump in with a "me too"...  But I just finished building a ML350p Gen8 for one of our remote offices, and I'm getting the exact same error when trying to backup the system drive (c:)...  The disks are 10K SAS drives off the embedded 420i controller in RAID5...  The backup destination is a USB HD.

Anyone have a solution on this? 

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I had the same problem with two DL380 gen8 servers, Windows 2012 installed with the Intelligent Provisioning.

Fixed the problem by shrinking the C drive with Windows' Disk Management.

After I shrunk the drive with 350MB it only gave me 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, so there seems to be some mismatch in the drive sizes. Anyways the servers now backup successfully.

• Proposed as answer by blackofe Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Fixed the problem by shrinking the C drive with Windows' Disk Management.

After I shrunk the drive with 350MB it only gave me 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, so there seems to be some mismatch in the drive sizes. Anyways the servers now backup successfully.

that doesn't seem obvious, but it worked for me! i've shrunk the system volume from 750 to 550Gb, and voila - the backup finished successfully!

thank you very much for such a valuable advice!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:53 PM
  • After I shrunk the volume as Ismo suggested with 350MB I also have only 5MB free space left.

Strange issue. but solved.

Monday, August 5, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Shrunk the volume by 400 MB (51 MB free on the disk as result) and the error is gone. Thanks a lot for your investigative work.

Andreas

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Hello -- Yes.  I also have this problem and I have a shiny new HP Microserver Gen8.  I have read the thread and see the "fix" involves shrinking Volume C to a different size.  Unfortunately, that is not an option for me because (silly me) -- not being very familiar with server installs I accepted the HP Intelligent Provisioning default install.   The "default" install does not create a system partion (drive C.) 

So I have a shinny new system and a shinny new Essentials 2012 on drive C and it looks like no way to back it up without error?

Is this correct?

And would the correct way to fix this be to start all the way back at the beginning with a clean install including creating a system partition or is there another work around for this?

Thank you for your patience. 

• Edited by Stephanie d Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:26 PM spelling
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:25 PM
  • I too had this error on a HP DL380p Gen8.  I downloaded Intelligent Prov. version 1.5 from HP, but first I tried shrinking the C: drive [250gb] by 2gig, and that fixed it. I accepted the defaults as well, so not sure what you mean by not having a system partition. Make sure you go to Disk Management under Computer Management, the "shrink volume" command isn't available through Server Manager's File and Storage Services. Go to Tools on the Server Manager console then to Computer Management. 
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 4:06 PM
  • The backup problem is not only related to IP 1.4. On two HP DL560 Gen8 with IP 1.5 I get the same problem with Windows Backup. Both servers fails with: "The drive cannot find the sector requested". It seems that HP has not solved the problem in IP 1.5. I have Windows Hyper-V server 2012 R2 installed on both servers.

Shrinking the C: partition does not solve the problem for me. I will now reinstall one of the servers without using Intelligent Provisioning and see if that helps.

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:50 PM
  • The backup problem is not only related to IP 1.4. On two HP DL560 Gen8 with IP 1.5 I get the same problem with Windows Backup. Both servers fails with: "The drive cannot find the sector requested". It seems that HP has not solved the problem in IP 1.5. I have Windows Hyper-V server 2012 R2 installed on both servers.

Shrinking the C: partition does not solve the problem for me. I will now reinstall one of the servers without using Intelligent Provisioning and see if that helps.

Yes, a reinstallation of the OS without using IP 1.5 solved the problem. I also found information on the HP web site that the backup problem should be solved in IP 1.6. However, no release date was set. 
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Shrinking the unnamed 350MB partition helped me - i could srink it by about 59 MB only not 107MB like in disk management gui.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:34 AM
  • I had this issue as well. Shrinking by "A few MB" didn't work so I tried 1024MB (1GB). That worked, and showed a bit over 600MB available to expand again. I think whoever coded the HP Intelligent Provisioning forgot to subtract the amount of sectors used by the small Windows boot partition from the sectors used for the last partition on the drive. (in my case C:\)

Its actually kind of scary as it could lead to data loss if something tries to write to the end of the drive where those sectors don't actually exist on the disk.

Monday, December 9, 2013 2:28 PM
  • I fix this issue shrink disk "С" !!!

Before

After

Have a nice day !!!

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Thank you Jeff!
    Your tip solved my problem, reduce the 1GB drive C through Windows Explorer and then expand (600MB) again. The backup completed the task without errors.
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:55 AM
  • shrunk by 500MB and there was 151MB reported as free afterwards. Thank you!!

Andy Suarez

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Same for me, fixed now. Thanks
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:42 PM
  • I had the same problem with two DL380 gen8 servers, Windows 2012 installed with the Intelligent Provisioning.

Fixed the problem by shrinking the C drive with Windows' Disk Management.

Well done Mate, it worked for me.

HP Microserver G8 and IP 1.4

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Reduce the volume in 1000 Gb or more and then extend it to the maximum size

Ing.

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:51 PM
  • HI,

I had the same problem.

2 or 3 months back after getting this problem i tried to shrink c drive but failed.

then i installed all the windows updates and tried it today to shrink , the drive shrinked successfully and backup also completed successfully .

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:13 PM