Uncontrollable scrolling RRS feed

• Question

• When viewing browsers/websites or application pages that have a vertical scroll bar sometimes the scroll bar goes to the page end and it is impossible to control it any more i.e if you drag the scroll bar up to the top of the page it will not stay there but goes striaght away to the page bottom.
    The start menu gets corrupted in the "search programs and files box" I get a vertical  cursor that goes from left to right continuosly all of it's own accord and you cannot type any characters in the box.. The same cursor effect happens if you try to put in a web address in the browser address bar. This "fault" usually lasts for about a couple of minutes then stops of its own accord. I have tried different browsers IE8 & Chrome and different mice. This problem only happens with Windows 7.
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:52 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Pafos,

If this is a laptop, you may update the touchpad driver first.

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot.

What are the result in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot?

If the issue persists in both modes, I also would like to suggest you reset the mouse settings to check the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pafos,

If this is a laptop, you may update the touchpad driver first.

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot.

What are the result in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot?

If the issue persists in both modes, I also would like to suggest you reset the mouse settings to check the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:48 AM
  • When viewing browsers/websites or application pages that have a vertical scroll bar sometimes the scroll bar goes to the page end and it is impossible to control it any more i.e if you drag the scroll bar up to the top of the page it will not stay there but goes striaght away to the page bottom.
    The start menu gets corrupted in the "search programs and files box" I get a vertical  cursor that goes from left to right continuosly all of it's own accord and you cannot type any characters in the box.. The same cursor effect happens if you try to put in a web address in the browser address bar. This "fault" usually lasts for about a couple of minutes then stops of its own accord. I have tried different browsers IE8 & Chrome and different mice. This problem only happens with Windows 7.

I am haveing the same issue with my desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate.  It seems that this occurs after the PC has been powered on for extened periods of time.  Once that vertical cursor starts scrolling everything goes to hell.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem. 

I replaced mouse and mouse pad and it still occurs. 

I've noticed that opening an application that uses cells, like Xcel or MS Project, seems to trigger it but I'm not sure if that's consistant.  But once it starts scrolling MIGHT stop if you move the mouse outside of the application.  It only happens when I'm docked and using an external mouse and monitor.  When I use the laptop standalone it doesn't happen (yet). 

Rebooted and the behaviour stops for the time being.  Redocking my laptop seems to accelerate the timing of when it starts up. 

Have you fixed this yet?  My IT department does not know about a fix.

This is a real pain.  Thanks.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:06 PM