none
Access to Project Server - Do I need to add people to schedule so they can access site and schedule? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

We have an instance of project server 2010 and maybe through ignorance or this is how it works, but when we have a team member who requires access to the project site, we are currently adding them to a summary task at the top of the project schedule template at 0% (most of our schedules are duration based and not resourced).

My question is, is this the only way to provide team members with access to the project, I am not a fan of adding people to a schedule just for the sake of them accessing the project site and risks and issues etc.  Surely this can be done using another method?

Regards

Sean

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

From your description I take you are automatically synching users from PWA with Project sites? If so, detailed below explains how users are added to the project sites:

• Project managers who have published a project or who have Save Project
      permissions on a project are added to the Project Managers (Microsoft Project
      Server) site group.
    • Team members with assignments in a project are added to the Team members
      (Microsoft Project Server) site group.
    • Other Project Server users who have View Project Site permission on a
      project are added to the Readers (Microsoft Project Server) site group

To get edit access to the project site they will need to be on the project team with an assignment, to get reader access ensure the user/s have the View Project Site permission enabled.

The other alternative is to control the project site users manually - admin overhead or develop your own custom permission solution that is event driven on project publish etc.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:16 AM