none
I have tried all of the suggestions but still I cannot print from Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to print from Project Server 2010. I have tried various views from Project Center and Resource Center but I am getting blank pages except for the very last one.

When I select the option Print, the print preview appears complete, then I get the message about over 30 lines to print and after clicking OK, still only getting the last partial page.

This is happening with Windows XP and IE7 and Windows 7 with either IE7 or IE 8 .. Project server 2010 SP1

I have turned off pop-ups, tried compatibility settings but nothing works. This is a new installation but we need to print!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:57 PM

All replies

• Try this workaround:

1. Goto Project center page.

2. Click on Print button on the Ribbon

3. You will see a warning "<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">There are more than 30 records in the current grid.....". Click Ok.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">4. You will find another tab or window named about:blank page. If the print dialog box pops up. Click Cancel.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">5. Goto File menu | Print Preview. Select 1 Page view from Show multiple pages drop down and select 30% from Change Print size drop down(you should be able to see data)</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">6. Click Print. You can print the output to Microsoft XPS Document writer first or print to the printer.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions"></label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions"></label>

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:39 PM
  • First, let me thank you for responding so quickly.

Secondly,  I tried your steps and unless I pass out magnifying glasses to all of the Project Server users (including myself) no one will be able to read the reports.

I am hoping that these steps were more to help diagnose my problem than provide an actual solution <smile>

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Hello Dollie,

The below blog might help you in getting the print out

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/09/08/project-server-2010-are-your-prints-from-pwa-blank-try-turning-off-ie-compatibility.aspx

Below solution lines are from the context in the above blog.

"However, if I turned off the compatibility setting under Tools, Compatibility View Settings, so that these were not applied to Intranet sites then all worked as expected and I got a good print.  If you have explicitly set your PWA sites in compatibility you may see the same issue.  If you really need prints though you may find Project Professional more flexible in giving you a good printed page."

Also, I would suggest you to reset the internet explorer settings before performing the above actions.

Please mark as answer and update the thread if this resolves your print issue.

Regards,

Shiva Prasad B C

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Solution:

I dont like it but after trying out every combination I have found a work around. Nothing else suggested anywhere else in the blogsphere has worked for my company.

It does not like multiple tabs in IE. We are on IE8. If you close down every other tab including new tabs the print function pop up works as expected. If you have any other browser window open including a search engine or a blank page (or absolutely anything) it fails.

I have repeated this with other administrators and users in the enterprise environment.

Until Microsoft hotfixs this I will be communicating to my business to use this work around.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried this with no success. Initially I was really excited when I found it but it did not fix my issue.
    By the way, I get the printer interface pop up where I can select my printer it is the output that is not correct. Even the view presented on the screen is correct .

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:36 PM
  • When you say all tabs, are you including the tab for the PWA?
    Friday, August 24, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Hi;

Never had a problem with the output that I couldnt customise. The solution was to get to the print option itself from a complete freeze :-) . Only the one PWA tabe can be open. I am asking ICT to approve IE9 for my account and see if the problem has been resovled before raising a support case to Microsoft.   

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Well i have uncovered good news and bad news regarding printing.

Good news:  Windows XP with IE8 prints if I follow the steps regarding compatibility views. (I added the web site for project to the websites to be displayed in Compatibility View and deselected "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View."

Bad news: the above changes did not work with IE9 (still issues with printing)  And Windows XP with IE7 has trouble printing too. Both are producing the blank pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:43 PM