Forefront Edge Server/Exchange Need Forefront on both? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one Edge server that is my mail gateway for my one Exchange server.  I have been receiving automatic emails every night, "You currently have 42 days left before your Subscription license of Microsoft Forefront Server Security expires." but when I checked the help about on my Edge server I found "Version: 10.1.0746.0 Service Pack: 1 Licensed Components:Component License type Expiration Date Forefront Subscription  Thursday, December 01, 2011."  I finally realized I also have Forefront SP2 installed on my Exchange server and that the subscription license on the Exchange server Forefront expired 12/31/09.  Now I am new to Forefront, I have not used it previously. I have been in this position 9 months and the installation preceeded me.  Why do I have Forefront installed on the gateway and the Exchange server and do I need both?  Why do I need seperate subscriptions licenses for the gateway and the Exchange server and do I need both?  Can I just let the subscription license expire on the Exchange server as it seems unnecessary? 
    Thank you. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have seen the false expiration issue in the past which was related to an RPC issue. It may be resolved with a simple recycle of the Forefront fsccontroller service. If this does not work you should open a case with a member of our Forefront Server support team

As far as just allowing Forefront to run on the Gateway; Forefront will not be able to scan mail that may be synced from a laptop brought into the office. Also, depending on your signature update schedule, Forefront may have newer/different AV signature definitions on each box.... so for a more comprehensive defense, you may want to keep Forefront installed on each.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob M
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:57 PM