App-V Package needs access to MS Office RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to App-V, so I'm only learning about what it's capable of. I am working on my first sequenced app. This particular program contains various different document types that can be opened from the app. Meaning it might have a link to a Word document, and when you double click the document, it launches Word and displays the document. (More accurately, it launches whatever program is specified in the registry as the default program for the .docx document type). It can hold nearly any document type, most commonly Word, Excel, and PDF.

If I run this program as an App-V package, I expect that it won't have access to Word or Acrobat in order to open those links. I know that I can create an App-V package, and configure a Connection Group (or Virtual Environment) to allow it to communicate with other App-V packages. It seems like a daunting task to create an App-V package for Office and Acrobat and anything else I would need to make sure those documents open properly. Especially considering that Office and Acrobat are already installed on every machine in the network. Is there some way to allow my App-V package to launch locally installed programs like Office and Acrobat?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:10 PM

Answers

• Yes, there is a way. In fact, you don't have to do anything. If you don’t do custom fancy stuff like adding dummy registry keys, virtualized apps will see native apps by default. App-V uses extension points (FTA’s, shortcuts, AppPath, URL protocol handlers ...), as an integration with the OS and native applications.

Here is some documentation on that topic: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/appv/2013/01/03/microsoft-application-virtualization-5-0-integration/

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:30 PM