locked
Upgrading the App-V 5.0 SP1 client to SP2 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We currently have virtual applications hosted on Windows 7 SP1 Ent x86 workstations utilising App-V 5.0 SP1.  We intend to upgrade the App-V client from SP1 to SP2, however initial testing is highlighting a few issues.  Trying to run the appv_client_setup.exe with the relevant parameters (ACCEPTEULA etc) on a workstation that already has the App-V 5.0 SP1 client and virtual application packages in the cache fails.  Can anyone confirm the upgrade path from SP1 to SP2?  Do you have to uninstall SP1, subsequently removing virtual applications off the workstation, and then install SP2?  What is the correct method to upgrade to SP1 whilst retaining virtual applications on the workstation, or is this not possible?  Any advice is much appreciated.

    Monday, January 13, 2014 9:33 AM

Answers

  • Okay, I think I've found a work around. Basically, you remove all the client packages and then run the upgrade.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

  • An upgrade is supported. There should be no need to remove the existing client and then install the new.

    What are the parameters you've used on the original install and the new install?



    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.


    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

    Monday, January 13, 2014 12:45 PM
    Moderator
  • I rolled out the App-V 5.0 SP1 client via SCCM 2012 R2, using the MSI based installer for App-V 5.0 SP1 (extracted the MSI's out of the Setup.exe).  The original install parameters were as follows:

    msiexec /i "appv_client_MSI_x86.msi" /q /norestart ACCEPTEULA=1 ENABLEPACKAGESCRIPTS=1 /l "C:\<log directory>"

    Virtual applications have worked fine on the App-V 5.0 SP1 client. 

    I then tried to install the SP2 client using the method above, however this does not work.  I have also tried installing SP2 via the App-V 5.0 SP2 setup.exe, but this has not worked either.

    Under which conditions have you upgraded successfully?  Thanks

    Monday, January 13, 2014 2:12 PM
  • hello,

    Is there any reason to not share the log-file of an unsuccessfull upgrade?

    Would be great to see that to understand whats happening


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Monday, January 13, 2014 2:29 PM
  • We've run into the same issue. I've tried it with the exe and by extracting the msi's. I also came across this guy's experiences which mirrored my own.

    http://www.the-d-spot.org/wordpress/2013/12/06/appv-5-0-sp2-client-and-the-pain-to-upgrade/
    Monday, January 13, 2014 10:50 PM
  • Okay, I think I've found a work around. Basically, you remove all the client packages and then run the upgrade.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:29 PM