Restricted access for user profile properties - Sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am working in a project where Profile pages is created for each and every employee.

User Profile Properties like Skills and some information must must be viewed ,searched  only by HR and Project Managers.

How do i achieve this ??

Thanks ,

Pallavi G.L

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 9, 2011 8:54 AM off-topic not accessibility (From:SharePoint - Accessibility (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Pallavi,

Are you talking about the OOTB My Site? Or you have created a custom profile page for each employee?

If you are using My Site, you can use the privacy settings to achieve this. By default, there are five categories of people to whom you can display for each property  Everyone, My Colleagues, My Workgroup, My Manager, and Only Me.

You can also add additional properties from SSP>user profile and properties>add profile property.

For more information, please check this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/introduction-to-my-site-HA010108748.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Pallavi,

I don't think this could be achieved through code easily and  make changes to DB is not supported.

Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day!

Thanks,
    Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pallavi G.L Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:07 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Pallavi,

Are you talking about the OOTB My Site? Or you have created a custom profile page for each employee?

If you are using My Site, you can use the privacy settings to achieve this. By default, there are five categories of people to whom you can display for each property  Everyone, My Colleagues, My Workgroup, My Manager, and Only Me.

You can also add additional properties from SSP>user profile and properties>add profile property.

For more information, please check this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/introduction-to-my-site-HA010108748.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Pengyu,

I am using the My site profile page. As you said there are properties like Everyone, My Colleagues, My Workgroup, My Manager, and Only Me.

But i want all the HR's and PM's of the organization to be able to view the user property. By default it will be only the employees PM or HR who can view the data . How can i customize it in such a way that only all the PM's and HR's can view the data(user propety like skills).

Thanks ,

Pallavi

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi Pallavi,

This cannot be achieved with OOTB feature.

Users can add HR and PM to workgroup so that they can make certain propery can be seen by workgroup only.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Hi Pengyu,

Is there any way by which we can code or make changes in the DB to achieve the same?

Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi Pallavi,

I don't think this could be achieved through code easily and  make changes to DB is not supported.

Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day!

Thanks,
    Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pallavi G.L Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:07 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:28 PM