none
Supported Configurations for Primary Site in Passive Mode RRS feed

• Question

• We have two main datacenters. One on the East Coast of the US, another in Amsterdam. 

I am currently running ConfigMgr 1806 in our US Datacenter. Currently, the database is co-located with the Primary Site. Our client count is about 33k. We have secondaries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America and well over 100 DPs. 

I want to create a passive primary site in our Amsterdam Datacenter. Bandwidth between the US and Amsterdam is good with low latency (70-80ms roughly)

If I am understanding this correctly, I could - 

1) Create a new VM in Amsterdam with the identical specs. 

2) Upgrade the current Primary Site SQL 2014 instance to Enterprise. (Again, SQL 2014 and the Primary Site are on the same server)

3) Install the same version of SQL on the Passive-Primary-To-Be in Amsterdam. 

4) Configure an Always-On availability group between the SQL 2014 install on the current Primary Site and the Passive-Primary-To-Be, verifying the database paths are identical on each server. 

5) Set DB replication to run asynchronously. 

6) Run the Passive Primary install from the Primary Site. 

Now, this would mean that the Passive Primary would always be using the DB across the pond in the US, with replication between the Passive DB and Active DB running on a best-effort metric. Up until I need to make turn the Passive primary into an Active primary. 

Is this an accepted configuration? I really don't want to have to move the current DB to another server and build an additional two servers in Amsterdam if I can avoid it. 

Looking at previous answers in TechNet (this thread for example - prior to 1806 coming out of Technical Preview), this was rumored to be possible. 

• Edited by ChrisMullins Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:38 PM Wording / Deobfuscation
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:34 PM

All replies