Combined sequential of footnotes and cross-references RRS feed

• Question

• If I introduce a cross-reference to a footnote that appears LATER during the text it seems impossible to include this cross-ref into a sequential numbering of all footnotes.

Example: A cross-ref. to footnote 10 is introduced between footnote 1 and 2, its value will still be 10 (even after ControlA+F9).

The value of the new crossref should change to 2 and all following refs accordingly, the original footnote 10 should be 2 now.

The problem seems trivial to solve for shorter texts but a full docotral thesis of a couple of a hundred pages and hundreds of references in footnotes it becomes impossible to rearange things by hand.

and there is no way around sequential numbering, it is a standard in any scientific publication.  

Thanks for the help!

Philipp

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:56 PM

All replies

• A cross-reference to a footnote will only change if the referenced footnote changes (for example if you move it, or add cross-references before it). That's to be expected of a cross-reference.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Thank you a lot for the fast answer,

At least I know now and won't lose more time trying to solve the problem.

EndNote X4 is able to handle the decribed issue without any problems, however it is only able to introduce actual endnotes (so no footnotes) in the end of the text. The way it's processing the data is different though, a citation is introduced into a general library and then added as reference from there. Same citations are referenced as identical numbers, putting all references in sequential order of appearance.   

The document I am working on requires the standard format of American Chemical Society Publications (for full articles (http://pubs.acs.org) which works with footnotes.    

Thanks again,

Philipp

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:45 AM