Hardware upgrade for SCCM Site Server & Secondary Site Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have SCCM Site Server with SQL Database, MP, DP, SUP, SLP, PMP and Secondary Site Server with PMP & DP. I plan to have hardware upgrade for these two site servers which to change the server hardware. How could I do the migration?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Which hardware component will be upgraded? Do you need to re-install OS after upgrading?

Perform a back-up and restore will be a better solution. see this thread:

restore SCCM in different hardware

http://social.technetmicrosoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrbackup/thread/aff1d570-f285-43f5-bf6e-f22788384691   
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Microsoft Gal,
      I have just gone through the process of upgrading the hardware for my primary site. Its nearly all working just a few bits to iron out but i can share my experience, it might help you.

If you are replacing hardware with the same drive configuration then you can do a backup & restore(I didnt do this).

1. install you new server ready to go with sccm install.
    2. backup old server & shutdown.
    3. rename new server with name of old server.
    4. install SCCM with same site code etc as old server.
    5. restore backup.

6. you cannot backup a secondary site so you have to remove this from the SCCM console. Delete Site with deinstall.
    7. Create new secondary site on your primary to push install to your new secondary server.
    You have to give all new sites unless restoring from backup a new site code i.e. i went from WIN to WI2 otherwise you will get problems

Ive not done this but its more or less the precedure from what ive read.

Because the drive configuration on my primary was going to be different i had to do what you could call a swap over. This procedure was given to me by kent Agerlund on these forums.

Hi,

1) Configure the new site as a child site and let packages, collections etc replicate down
    2) Break the parent/child relationship
    3) Configure the new site as parent site and let the data (inventory) flow up
    4) Remove the boundaries from the old site and assign them to the new site
    5) Run this script as a package on the old site (it will work even after boundaries have been removed.
    6) All clients are now assigned to the new site

'replace with your Site Code
    sSiteCode = "NewSitecode"
    sMachine = "."
    set oCCMNamespace = GetObject("winmgmts://" & sMachine & "/root/ccm")
    Set oInstance = oCCMNamespace.Get("SMS_Client")
    set oParams = oInstance.Methods_("SetAssignedSite").inParameters.SpawnInstance_()
    oParams.sSiteCode = sSiteCode
    oCCMNamespace.ExecMethod "SMS_Client", "SetAssignedSite", oParams

Just make sure you don't have any packages that will rerun even if they installed successfully. If so then they will rerun when clients are assigned to the new site.

I would also add this for your secondary sites

6. uninstall SCCM from secondary server from add remove programs
    7. Create new secondary site on your primary to push install to your new secondary server.
    You have to give all new sites unless restoring from backup a new site code i.e. i went from WIN to WI2

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's totally new hardware, need to install new OS & SCCM.

For no.6 & no.7, I read from the documentation as the link below that we could backup the secondary site. Why did u said that we cant backup secondary site? Anyway If deinstall the secondary site, the existing data for secondary site will be deleted as well,right?

For the backup task, does it backup the SMSPKG$ as well? It can backup DP, MP, PMP, SLP, SUP server role and data?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:48 PM
  • This is the documentation link.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632545.aspx

"To ensure that you are properly backing up your sites, you should schedule the Backup ConfigMgr Site Server maintenance task for each primary and secondary site in your hierarchy. "
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:55 PM
  • There's a backup task for secondary sites available, but it's not supported to restore them -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632587.aspx
    The backup task does not take care of SMSPKGx$ -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633229.aspx (What Does Not Get Backed Up
     / What Gets Backed Up)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Then how can we take care of SMSPKGx$ for the migration for the new hardware changes?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Can I create the new secondary site using the same site code as the secondary site which to be deinstalled?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:22 AM
  • I suggest never re-using sitecodes.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:53 AM
  • What is the reason ?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Basically because there are serial numbers and NextIDs stored in the database, registry, inboxes etc. Those have to be in sync with the actual values that can be found on the site otherwise it will mess up site to site communication. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633287.aspx ("Re-Using Site Codes").
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:07 AM
  • For the secondary site server migration, after i deinstall the secondary site and install the new secondary site, how could I transfer or restore the secondary site settings to the new secondary site? Is there a way? Or I have to manually configure the new secondary site again?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Ok, I got it. Thanks. I still have queries as below. Perhaps I put it on numbering, it is regarding the secondary site server migration.

1. After i deinstall the secondary site and install the new secondary site, how could I transfer or restore the secondary site settings to the new secondary site? Is there a way? Or I have to manually configure the new secondary site again?
    2. Then do I need to do anything on the SCCM clients which connected to secondary site PMP which to be migrated later? For eg, point the SCCM client to the new secondary site PMP or etc.
    3. When the moment secondary site is deinstalled, then the SCCM Clients will connect to which MP? the primary site MP?
    4. Any impact on the SCCM Client when doing deinstallation? for eg, lost connection?

Monday, February 1, 2010 9:34 AM
  • #1: "How to Copy Site Settings from One Site to Another": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633056.aspx
    #2: clients are always assigned to primary sites, so no need to re-assign them
    #3: the clients will contact the primary site's MP if the secondary site is removed properly (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632435.aspx)
    #4: that depends on your configuration and setup (MP / DP). You could remove the boundaries and MP from the secondary site in advance so that the clients will use the site systems of the parent site. You won't see any outage then, but increased traffic on the WAN link.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Follow up question due to the fact there is no restore supported.

Why is would Microsoft add a Task for Backup on secondary Sites, when you can not restore it ?

// Lundegard
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:00 PM