DIFFICULTY IN SAVING DIRECTORY/ FILE IN PEN DRIVE RRS feed

• Question

• WHILE USING A PEN DRIVE I AM UNABLE TO SAVE ANY FILE OR DOCUMENT IN THE PEN DRIVE AND MESSAGE IS APPEARING DIRECTORY/ FILE CANNOT BE CREATED " ERROR CODE 0X80070052.

I REQUEST IF ANY BODY KNOWS THE  ANSWER FOR KINDLY LET ME KNOW.

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:26 AM

Answers

•  

Hi NAGA SRINIVAS RAO,

Thank you for the reply.

First I would like to confirm if you have formatted the external drive in NTFS. It seems lauralyn has resolved the issue by formatting the drive:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2453301&SiteID=17

If you have already formatted the drive but to no avail, please confirm if we need to install additional driver for the pen drive. Can other USB external drives work properly on your computer?

I suggest testing the issue on other computers (running Windows Vista and Windows XP). If external drive cannot work on other computers either, the cause can be a damaged external drive. You may contact the computer manufacturer to perform a further check.

If the issue does not occur on other computers, the cause can be incompatible third-party software installed on your system.

I suggest testing the issue in Safe Mode first.

We can also testing the result in a Clean Boot state.

Clean boot

========

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

What’s the result?

You can also create a new account with administrator privileges and logon with this account to check the issue. To create a new account, please access Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hi NAGA SRINIVAS RAO,

Thank you for the post.

There can be something wrong on your external drive.

I suggest backing up your important data from the external drive to the local hard drive and then formatting the external drive in NTFS.

Can you save files to the external drive now?

If the issue persists, please let me know if your could save files to the external drive before in Windows Vista. If not, the cause can be the external drive is incompatible with Windows Vista and you may need to contact its manufacturer to obtain more information.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:23 AM
  •  

Thank you for your  Kind  help.

The probelm is still persisting, earlier to vista the Pen Drive functioned very well. Any further sugestion?

With regards

NAGA SRINIVAS RAO

INDIA.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:15 AM
  •  

Hi NAGA SRINIVAS RAO,

Thank you for the reply.

First I would like to confirm if you have formatted the external drive in NTFS. It seems lauralyn has resolved the issue by formatting the drive:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2453301&SiteID=17

If you have already formatted the drive but to no avail, please confirm if we need to install additional driver for the pen drive. Can other USB external drives work properly on your computer?

I suggest testing the issue on other computers (running Windows Vista and Windows XP). If external drive cannot work on other computers either, the cause can be a damaged external drive. You may contact the computer manufacturer to perform a further check.

If the issue does not occur on other computers, the cause can be incompatible third-party software installed on your system.

I suggest testing the issue in Safe Mode first.

We can also testing the result in a Clean Boot state.

Clean boot

========

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

What’s the result?

You can also create a new account with administrator privileges and logon with this account to check the issue. To create a new account, please access Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:24 AM
  •  NAGA SRINIVAS RAO wrote:

WHILE USING A PEN DRIVE I AM UNABLE TO SAVE ANY FILE OR DOCUMENT IN THE PEN DRIVE AND MESSAGE IS APPEARING DIRECTORY/ FILE CANNOT BE CREATED " ERROR CODE 0X80070052.

I REQUEST IF ANY BODY KNOWS THE  ANSWER FOR KINDLY LET ME KNOW.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:05 AM