Can no longer tranfer files from internal drive to USB RRS feed

• Question

• Can no longer tranfer files from internal drive to USB , such as folders with large RAW files, films around 4 Gb , start off ok then freezes , only way to unfreeze pc is kill explorer process, but when I restart explorer there are two instances but cant open files , only thing I can do is restart the pc. I had no problems moving files up until recently

OS windows 7 home premium 64 bit, Asus P5KPL-AM iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz Socket 775 1066Mhz 3MB  Processor, Kingston 4GB RAM,ZOTAC GTX260 192 Core SYNERGY EDITION 896MB DDR3 Dual DVI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Guys, as an update ,I wanted to prove something before trying any third party software so I removed SP1 and all my recent windows updates and I can now transfer files without any problems....I have yet to determine which update caused the problem , but will add one at a time to see which is the problem, thanks for your time with this, regards Sean
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:12 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:50 AM

All replies

• Have you installed the Windows 7 Sp1? it includes a hotfix about USB issues (freeze) with nVIDIA chipset and 4 GB.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:49 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Andre. You may also refer to the following KB article:

You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hi Sabrina and Andre, I have tried both WIndows 7 SP1 ( windows6.1-KB976932-X64) and Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976972), and the system still hangs when moving large files from internal drives to usb drives. I have only had this problem a few weeks now, I have not added and new hardware or software recently. regards Sean
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hi,
    which AntiVirus software do you use?

André

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Hi Andre I use Kapersky 2011 Regards Sean
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi Andre, this has only recently been an issue , no changes of hardware or software by myself, possibly some windows updates , but generally I install them myself not automatically, and have not recently updated, regards Sean
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Hi Sean,
    please uninstall KasperSky completely and test it again.

André

Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:14 PM
  • HI Andre, unistalled Kapersky 2011, which has had no effect , regards Sean
    Friday, March 18, 2011 12:33 PM
  • maybe something happened to the usb device ,try another one or perhaps ,run chkdsk on the one you are using
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:13 PM
  • HI Andre, unistalled Kapersky 2011, which has had no effect , regards Sean

Do you use preview handlers in the Explorer for the RAW files? Does it happen, too if you use 3rd party file manager or other file copying tool like TeraCopy?

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

André

Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hi Bing, I have several external drives which if connected to other pcs transfer ok, its just the pc mentioned in first post, regards Sean
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please test this issue in Clean Boot.

Also, I would like to confirm that if it works when using the other computer.

·         What about to use the free utility ShellExView to tract the cause file and disable the third party extension?

1)    Download ShellExView v1.41 .

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2)    Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3)    Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4)    Click Next and click Finnish.

5)    Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6)    Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7)    Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8)    Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi Guys, as an update ,I wanted to prove something before trying any third party software so I removed SP1 and all my recent windows updates and I can now transfer files without any problems....I have yet to determine which update caused the problem , but will add one at a time to see which is the problem, thanks for your time with this, regards Sean
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:12 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:50 AM